Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   is my tank overstocked? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tank-overstocked-61236/)

TonyMontana 01-29-2011 03:27 AM

is my tank overstocked?

I have a 30 gallon tall tank dims are 30 L, 13 W, 19 T, Two aquatech 30-60 HOB filters and one 30 gallon submersible filter.

The fish I have in there now are

3 Zebra Danios
3 Gold Barbs
2 Angel Fish
2 Rainbow Shark
1 Sword Tail Male

I do daily PWC changes of like 20 % I want to know if my tank is going to be okay. :-)

MyLittlePleco 01-29-2011 07:58 AM

These are the fish I am currently housing in a 16 gallon tank:

- 3 Scalare Angelfish
- 6 Zebra Danios
- 1 small Common Pleco
- 3 Boeseman Rainbowfish
- 2 Ramirezis

This was the largest replacement tank i could find for them when my 50 gallon suddenly sprung a leak.
I haven't seen any signs of aggression, but I'm sure there will be problems between the Angelfish in the long run. Of course, I'm relocating the fish to my 50 gallon once the silicon sets well enough.

I'd say frequent water changes are a must.
Also, try to include a few live plants, as these will help with oxygenation and will actually use up some ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the tank. The plants will also provide some cover in your tank, which should aid in reducing aggression.

Be aware though, that Angelfish can get pretty big, and that you may need to find them a new home when they grow up.

cbirk 01-29-2011 08:55 AM

Your Red Tailed Sharks will become VERY aggressive with each other, I would recommended trading one of them in for something else (not a rainbow shark or any other shark that looks similar). Also I think the common consensus on this forum is that angels should be kept in a group of at least 5 and in at least a 55gal. I have found that that suggestions varies greatly depending on who I am talking to and where.

Either way your RTS will definitely need a 55gal

Byron 01-31-2011 06:10 PM

We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. You can click on the fish name if it is shaded in posts (name has to be identical, so the fish may be in the profiles even if the "name" isn't shaded).

Please read up on your fish, you have real problems just waiting to occur due to their size and behaviours. Fish grow all their lives, and in small environments develop internal problems and weakened immune systems that cause more health issues and often premature death. I'll willingly try to answer your specific questions if you have any after you've read the profiles. I just don't want to repeat all that here.;-)

Byron.