Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Egeria Densa Growth Appearance (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/egeria-densa-growth-appearance-61234/)

SinCrisis 01-29-2011 01:23 AM

Egeria Densa Growth Appearance

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on trimming Egeria Densa? When I trim, the main plant stops growing for a long time and the other plants quickly outgrow it in height. I want to try and keep them growing at similar heights to get a bushy effect. Is anyone familiar with proper trimming techniques for this plant?

redchigh 01-29-2011 11:23 AM

Egeria only has one growing tip... You may need to pull it out, trim off of the bottom, and then replant.

The bottom will eventually grow, but if you want to plant it, plant it in the back.

SinCrisis 01-29-2011 11:34 AM

I have a few pieces of egeria that have 2 stalks from one base? Are you sure it only has one growing tip?

Blaxicanlatino 01-29-2011 12:21 PM

i cut it the way id cut any stem plant, the parent plant doesnt seem to grow but it will make 1-2 side shoots.

SinCrisis 01-29-2011 08:52 PM

How long does it take for that to happen? One of mine has a side shoot starting but it took well over a week for that to start. Do you use any ferts to help get it started?

redchigh 01-31-2011 01:20 PM

I had some egeria, and if you trim it it will EVENTUALLY grow a new node to grow from.

It grows faster if you don't make it choose though.

SinCrisis 01-31-2011 03:52 PM

Well my main goal is to create a anachris "bush." Im finding that my anachris, if I only replant the tips, creates problems, firstly, the bottoms i pull up comes up with deep roots so a lot of my soil comes with it. Additionally, the new tops often end up getting dislodged and floating around before getting roots. I really enjoy the look of this plant and it has anti-cyano properties so I want to keep it in my tank.

Blaxicanlatino 01-31-2011 08:44 PM

sorry for the late reply. I never got an alert for a reply on this thread. I admit that anacharis is a bit weird when it comes to trimming and growth of cuttings. i noticed that it does take some time for the cuttings to grow to begin growing, maye a few days to a week before it grows begins to grow like crazy. i rarely see side shoots appear on my anacharis. The side shoots either grow tiny tiny tiny leaves that are extremely close together (almost looks lke a a while new plant) or grows the same as any other anacharis plant

my tank specs are : 10 gallon, 20 watts, flourite gravel, seachem flourish once a week. i got a bunch of this (about 3-4 stalks) about 3 months ago. I know have at least 10 stalks now. Highly low tec tank