Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   5 Amazon Swords (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/5-amazon-swords-61206/)

jschristian44 01-28-2011 08:32 PM

5 Amazon Swords

Help with plants. So I got 5 amazon swords plants and a bunch of frogbit. The amazon swords came with a little brown on them and so did the frogbit I believe. anyways, after looking at them for a little bit here, it looks like the amazon swords are suffering a little. now i have a tropical sun T8 light for my 10 gallon. the water is fine and treated. the frogbit should be fine, but the amazon swords I don't know about. should they be completely submersed in the water? I got them in a cup right now because this is going to be my spawning tank, and I will eventually put them in the substrate on the bottom. I figured that since the roots have water, the leaves should be fine right?

Calmwaters 01-28-2011 08:38 PM

You do realize that the amazon sword will very quickly out grow a 10 gallon tank especially if you got 5 of them. And yes the whole plant needs to be covered with water or the leaves will dry out.

jschristian44 01-28-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 572911)
You do realize that the amazon sword will very quickly out grow a 10 gallon tank especially if you got 5 of them. And yes the whole plant needs to be covered with water or the leaves will dry out.

i thought they might grow taller yes, but cant i just trim them down a little bit? how do i get the full leaf cover in water?

Calmwaters 01-28-2011 09:17 PM

Amazon Swords are tall and bushy. I trimmed one of mine once trying to get rid of some really bad algae and it is still alive not as nice as it once was but I quess you could trim it.

jschristian44 01-28-2011 09:33 PM

i didnt think they got that high? is it like 16" maximum? thats only like 4 inches more...

Calmwaters 01-28-2011 09:43 PM

Its 20 inches but can grow larger in taller tanks. You can read more about it by clicking on the fish profile section at the top and looking in the rooted plant section.

jschristian44 01-28-2011 09:49 PM

wow i didnt know that...i wish they would stay at this height they'd be perfect. i think they are my fishes favorite because he can almost disappear in the roots. if i cut them short, they will still grow if i dont cut out the roots right, just like regular plants?

Calmwaters 01-28-2011 10:57 PM

I am not sure about cutting them short I just cut of the longest leaves and left the shorter ones. What kind of fish is he?

jschristian44 01-28-2011 11:07 PM

betta veiltail, almost looks like the one in your avatar.

Calmwaters 01-29-2011 10:07 PM

Yes bettas love it when they have floating plants. I would suggest planting the amazons in the gravel and letting the leaves float along the top of the water then if you want more floating plants duckweed or brazilian pennywort are very nice and my bettas love it.
Posted via Mobile Device