Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Help! Aggressive female molly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-aggressive-female-molly-61201/)

pringleman1 01-28-2011 06:40 PM

Help! Aggressive female molly

This molly is one of two fish i bought when i started my tank several months ago. ive got more fish since then and another tank so now this female molly is in a tank with a male molly another female molly, 2 guppys and a swordtail.
Im guessing that she is dominating the rest because she was the first fish i got and was bigger then the other one which was a platy( unknown to me at the time).
How can i stop her being so aggressive towards the male and other female molly and other tankmates?

kcormier 01-29-2011 10:13 AM

It is important to make sure you notice who is aggressive, as that will help if you have to take more drastic measures. For now though, just change up the decorations in the tank. Move everything around. It can be a little stressful for the fish, but then they are all in a "new" tank and it sort of evens the playing field. Are you feeding them enough? I've seen otherwise docile fish get much more aggressive when food is scarce. What are your other water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

Lastly if you finally do identify the molly as the aggressive fish, and nothing else helps, you can isolate her for a while. I have a small 2.5 gallon that I use for this. I wouldn't leave them long in a tank that small, but it has a heater, filter, and air in order to keep things moving. I also print over gravel and part of my bio bag for the filter to make sure you don't get an ammonia spike! 24 to 48 hours away usually makes them much less territorial when they go back.

My warning to everyone for now though is that I'm still new to this myself, so this myself, so don't go on my word alone. I'd wait for someone with more experience to confirm what I've said.

mattfishgeek 02-06-2011 09:58 AM

hi ive been breeding and keeping mollies for years and are still a favourite with me. Ive often had problems with aggresive females. First of all is there a male in there with her and is he larger than her, also are there any other female molly on there?

pringleman1 02-06-2011 11:38 PM

The male is a lyre-tail but he isn't bigger then my aggressive silver female they are about the same size.
There is another female with them she is a smaller black female.

The silver female molly is always dominating to front of the tank, even when i moved her from the old tank to the new one and had the plants and gravel changed and put the tank in a different spot in the room she is still dominating the front of this tank.

Any ideas? Other then the isolation idea by kcormier.

fan4guppy 02-07-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pringleman1 (Post 582950)
The male is a lyre-tail but he isn't bigger then my aggressive silver female they are about the same size.
There is another female with them she is a smaller black female.

The silver female molly is always dominating to front of the tank, even when i moved her from the old tank to the new one and had the plants and gravel changed and put the tank in a different spot in the room she is still dominating the front of this tank.

Any ideas? Other then the isolation idea by kcormier.

Tropical fish tend to be like people. Although Mollies are not really considered to be an agressive species in nature you may find what you are going through to be exactly a case of them being agressive due to they have been in the tank longer than the other inhabitants. They are not territorial per say like cichlids but do have their own characteristics of their own agression level.

I recently had this problem with a group of female guppies believe it or not where the females were very agressive but only having one male in the tank with 4 females you can imagine.

Now the idea of the male in the tank does come up.

Does she show any agression to the male molly?

If so I do think that the idea of isolation may be good for a while so that others can establish their heirachy in the aquarium.