Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   first time fragging (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/first-time-fragging-61149/)

bigrift 01-28-2011 01:29 AM

first time fragging

ok so i think its time i try my hand at fragging. iv got some mushroom corals and iv read just about every artical i can on the proper way to do it and i think iv got it down.... but then.... i came across a artical about this guy who took his mushroom heads simply put them in a blender then dumped them in the tank and had very good sucsess (i belive it said about 100 new mushrooms from 4 he started with). has anyone tryed this? if so can ya please tell me how ya made out. id really like to try this if it works as i want alot of these guys all over. also one question i had i couldnt seem to find a answere to is when i cut the top off the mushroom will the foot left behind regrow a new mushroom? if not should i try and remove as mush as i can from the rock?

bigrift 01-29-2011 11:09 AM

ok so i finally did it i did my first mushroom frag and everything seems to be going great ... its been only a day and i cut a small one in half across the mouth put some rubble in the bowl put some mesh over that as a lid and today i looked in and they were both open =D. also the slime they have when ya cut um is gone and both seem to have found a place to attach. hopefully in a few days i can glue the rubble to a rock and start my new colony.

aunt kymmie 01-29-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrift (Post 572324)
i came across a artical about this guy who took his mushroom heads simply put them in a blender then dumped them in the tank and had very good sucsess (i belive it said about 100 new mushrooms from 4 he started with). has anyone tryed this?

:shock: In a blender?? Yikes, that just doesn't sound right, does it?
Glad your first time fragging went well! Awesome.

Mattcot 01-29-2011 06:41 PM

I may have to try fraging my mushrooms too.
have you got any progress photos?

bigrift 01-30-2011 02:23 AM

wish i did but the day my cord came to hook the camera up to the computer for upload i was takeing some last min pics and ooops... camera went for a swim in the tank lol

bigrift 01-31-2011 12:18 PM

its been 3 days since i cut these frags and they are almost fully round now but they still havnt attached to any of the rubble in the container i put them in.... everything i read says 2 to 3 days for this to happen and is normally the first thing they do befor they start to round out... any ideas as to why they havnt and what i can do to help this along?

badxgillen 01-31-2011 04:55 PM

hmm

i have fragged hundreds and have never had it happen in a couple of days..it will probably take a while longer and the more you fiddle with it the more time it will take to attach..a week about in my opinion...no wine before its time right..and sometimes they round out first then attach...there are alot of mushrooms out there as well as differnt enviroments so there is no definate time line..good water perameters and subdued lighting at first wich the screen you added will provide...there are coral dips and supplements to add but i find a clean razor and the formentioned plenty sufficeint.

bigrift 01-31-2011 05:48 PM

ahhh ok then maybe i misunderstood what i read. i really dont fiddel with the cup at all i figure the less i move it the better. iv only had the actual coral a week and i was inspecting the rock today and iv now found 4 new mushroom growing and the spot i took the one ifragged looks as if its starting to bud a new mushroom. looks like ill be fragging a bunch more very soon =) btw mine are a deep purple with gree and blue rings but the lines that come from the edge to the mouth are red... its very prity ill see if i can barrow a camera soon to get pics up =D

badxgillen 01-31-2011 06:07 PM

nice

sounds nice...i do like to trade..so if oyu are up for shipping maybe we could work something out..

bigrift 01-31-2011 10:58 PM

yeah sounds good.... if this goes well ill prolly be cutting up the rest soon.