Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Thinking of joining the sand wagon (teehee pun intended) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/thinking-joining-sand-wagon-teehee-pun-60994/)

ghostgirl 01-26-2011 09:50 AM

Thinking of joining the sand wagon (teehee pun intended)

1 Attachment(s)
I love my plants and I can't wait to get more! So that being said... I have pea gravel along with regular aquarium gravel in my tank at the moment. It's about 3'' deep. I have anubias, anacharis, pennywort, lemon bacopa, guinea broadleaf, red rotala, banana plants, a couple swords that haven't been very happy since the beginning, ludwigia, echinodorus.

Ok so it is an old picture but the plants that i am unsure of are in the picture.
So would I be able to change to sand and if so what would I need to add if anything?

new picture of tank to come very soon as soon as husband stops taking pic of our son for 30 seconds.

Curt 01-26-2011 09:58 AM

LOL I love my tank after sand. Im new to "live" plants so I cant help ya there. It made the tank look moer "natural"

ghostgirl 01-26-2011 10:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
of course Hans has to be in the spotlight lolAttachment 22704

Attachment 22705

Attachment 22706

Attachment 22707

Attachment 22708

Curt 01-26-2011 11:24 AM

I love your plants! What is the one floating that you have?

How old are your bala sharks? I made the mistake of buying some for my 20g tank they are find for now but IM paranoid they will quickly out grow it considering all the feedback i got here. MY LFS stated it would take a long time for them to get that large.

ghostgirl 01-26-2011 11:40 AM

I have frog bit and crystalwort floating. I have overflow tanks that I put washing machine lint trap over the holes and the crystalwort helps close those holes up so my guppy fry don't fall in as much. I have really grown to love the frog bit. I just put it in and they have multiplied like crazy. They get little leaves that stem away from the main plant and break away on their own and grow into their own full plant. I've only had them about a month if that and they have doubled at least.

Hans is about 5 inches and he is the biggest. I got him in the beginning of October. He was the size of the 3 small balas when I got him. The moment I put him in the big tank he grew and got so much happier. The sooner you get them in the proper tank the happier they will be.

Byron 01-26-2011 06:51 PM

My only suggestion is to go dark; whether you decide on sand or small-grain gravel, dark is best for the fish, and it really improves the overall appearance.

ghostgirl 01-26-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 571024)
My only suggestion is to go dark; whether you decide on sand or small-grain gravel, dark is best for the fish, and it really improves the overall appearance.

Ok so then sand would be good with my plants? I am definitely going with black sand and I am going to get a big piece of driftwood. I will also be doing my tank in thirds as suggested to someone else. I'm so excited. Come on taxes Mamas tank needs a make-over and some new tank mates!!

Byron 01-26-2011 07:49 PM

By now the regulars here know I am not fond of sand substrates. [I'm not going into all that again, though of course I will if you ask.] I would find a dark small-grain gravel (1-2 mm grain size) or, if I could afford it, one of the enriched plant substrates.

Stem plants don't care what the substrate is generally speaking; it is the true substrate-rooted plants [swords, crypts, Vallisneria, Aponogeton...] that have a preference for small-sized substrates. Or to be more accurate, that do generally grow better in them.