Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Help sick fish :0/ (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/help-sick-fish-0-a-60909/)

sailfish7 01-25-2011 12:08 PM

Help sick fish :0/

My Electric yellow Cichlid has not ate for a week, has been hiding, and looks like he's breathing fast.... Does anyone know what can that be??
Posted via Mobile Device

Plumkin 01-26-2011 02:57 AM

Does he have anything on his scales ? white gunk or fin rot anything like that?

1077 01-26-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailfish7 (Post 569765)
My Electric yellow Cichlid has not ate for a week, has been hiding, and looks like he's breathing fast.... Does anyone know what can that be??
Posted via Mobile Device

When in doubt, test the water, or take sample of water to fish store and ask if they will test it.
Ammonia and nitrites should be zero if the tank has cycled,and nitrates should be around 20 ppm between weekly 30 to 50 percent water change.
I see you have crushed coral substrate so I might perform smaller water changes more frequently ,depending on pH,GH, of your source water for changes if it is much different than the tank as well as the number's of fish. More fish = more waste which may mean larger more frequent water changes and possibly more filtration.
Would see that the Yellow Lab is not being targeted by more aggressive tankmates for they are not nearly as aggressive as some of the other African's.
Would also see that the tank had plenty of caves for the fishes not just one or two castles,fake log etc.
African cichlids need some food designed specifically for them which should contain some spirulina and or algae in addition to other more meaty foods.
This is I am afraid,all i can offer considering what little info on your tank,fish,maint,etc was provided.
Would not start dumping meds in the tank until I explored some or all of the afore mentioned.

bearwithfish 01-26-2011 08:56 AM

i would add that if aggression issues are not the main problem or water quality are you sure its a male? could the fish be holding at this time? if so they will not eat until they release the fry.....

1077 01-26-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 570523)
i would add that if aggression issues are not the main problem or water quality are you sure its a male? could the fish be holding at this time? if so they will not eat until they release the fry.....

Good point.

sailfish7 01-26-2011 09:26 PM

Thank you all for the info :) but....my fish died....ill keep in check everything more often

Plumkin 01-26-2011 09:48 PM

:( im sorry to hear that.

bearwithfish 01-27-2011 07:35 AM

sorry to hear that .. but on the other hand you now have the oppertunity to discover the root of the issue before any more loss....if you have the time could you please post details about your tank as listed above.. her is a list of useful information...
tanke size
filtration
lighting
test readings (PH, dKH, nitrITE, nitrATE)
population
substrate
decorations
plants (also note if live or fake)

all of these factors can be important in discovering the root cause of your fishes loss... by discovering the cause you can then fix it and have a healthier system ....