Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   pH increaser by using calcium? -Experiment- (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-increaser-using-calcium-experiment-60840/)

fjsedajr 01-24-2011 07:27 PM

pH increaser by using calcium? -Experiment-

Bear with me, i know this is drastical, i wanna know wa you guys think...

I have been having problems with pH recently, dropping from 6.5 (faucet) to 3.2 in hours. So i decided to take out wood that could release acid (it was kinda new wood) and trace the problem. My GH was high, then i used pH 6.5 from API to stabalize and bring it up. I did and its now at 5.4-5.7 stable. i have angels and fish like that so acid water is good for them. Now still we have the problem of GH and KH being too low. SOO i did some reading around, everyone recommended calcium and coral. So indeed, i needed someway, and the coral they sold it at 15 pounds a bag. So i decided to go WAY far the beaten path and try something new, if calcium is the main ingridient, and why not put a little bag of bird calcium pellets, yeah the ones the put to birds to sharpen and scratch their beaks, ive heard this does the trick.

Wa do u guys think, good or bad idea? i put only one in a little bag and i let it dissolve sloowllyy. Not a fast pH adjuster, but i think ill do the trick. Tell me what you think.

leogtr 02-02-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjsedajr (Post 569192)
Bear with me, i know this is drastical, i wanna know wa you guys think...

I have been having problems with pH recently, dropping from 6.5 (faucet) to 3.2 in hours. So i decided to take out wood that could release acid (it was kinda new wood) and trace the problem. My GH was high, then i used pH 6.5 from API to stabalize and bring it up. I did and its now at 5.4-5.7 stable. i have angels and fish like that so acid water is good for them. Now still we have the problem of GH and KH being too low. SOO i did some reading around, everyone recommended calcium and coral. So indeed, i needed someway, and the coral they sold it at 15 pounds a bag. So i decided to go WAY far the beaten path and try something new, if calcium is the main ingridient, and why not put a little bag of bird calcium pellets, yeah the ones the put to birds to sharpen and scratch their beaks, ive heard this does the trick.

Wa do u guys think, good or bad idea? i put only one in a little bag and i let it dissolve sloowllyy. Not a fast pH adjuster, but i think ill do the trick. Tell me what you think.

I think that the more you mess with your tanks ph the more unstable its gonna be...the fish are going to be stressed out making their immune system to decrease and they will be prone to disease...be careful

fjsedajr 02-02-2011 11:50 PM

Well experiment over, it failed as a pH increaser but i discovered it softened waters GH.
Fish are fine, they were never stressed and i finally fixed the pH and its perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikaila31 02-03-2011 12:00 AM

In this case I would suggest baking soda or tums.... If you go the tums route though I suggest looking for a calcium tablet/supplement. Ideally you want something as pure are possible without the colors and flavors that are in tums. I have used tums in the aquarium before 1 tablet per 20 gallons worked, did make it cloudy though. My purpose was more for calcium supplement then raising GH, IDK how much of a effect it will have on that. I don't think its all the calcium that you are after, Its mainly the carbonates I believe that are responsible for your GH. Which is why the baking soda might work better....

BTW does the pH still crash in like a bare bucket or pitcher like it does in the tank?

fjsedajr 02-03-2011 12:05 AM

No. PH is supper stable.. I used the baking soda technique long ago.. It worked great at raising water KH to stabalize and buffer pH.. Btw this is all on FW aquarium. And lowering GH was also good. So experiment wasnt a full failure..
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikaila31 02-03-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjsedajr (Post 578322)
No. PH is supper stable.. I used the baking soda technique long ago.. It worked great at raising water KH to stabalize and buffer pH.. Btw this is all on FW aquarium. And lowering GH was also good. So experiment wasnt a full failure..
Posted via Mobile Device

You say pH drops from 6.5 to 3.2 yet is really stable.... I honest don't know what you want now. That is anything but stable.... also why was lowering GH good?...

Byron 02-03-2011 07:35 PM

Likewise.

Fjsedajr, one thing very important i don't see mentioned in this thread is the hardness of your source water. Do you know the numbers for GH and KH of the water you use (tap water I suppose?)?

fjsedajr 02-03-2011 07:49 PM

no no, ok you dont get me. my pH was before really unstable, but i added shortly after baking soda, buffering KH and finally stabalizing pH. This was after i gave up on the experiment. Then i noticed my GH had lowered because of the mixture of the calcium pellet. So i found that i could lower GH with calcium apparently.

Byron 02-03-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjsedajr (Post 579057)
no no, ok you dont get me. my pH was before really unstable, but i added shortly after baking soda, buffering KH and finally stabalizing pH. This was after i gave up on the experiment. Then i noticed my GH had lowered because of the mixture of the calcium pellet. So i found that i could lower GH with calcium apparently.

That isn't possible, as far as I know. Calcium and magnesium are the two minerals that increase hardness, always.

This is very important; to be adjusting the pH and/or hardness of water when fish are present is not safe, believe me. The stress on the fish of fluctuating values can cause real trouble. And those chemical preparations are connected to the initial hardness, which itself buffers ph to some extent depending upon the hardness.

What is your tap water GH and KH?

Mikaila31 02-03-2011 10:03 PM

yeah GH is a measure of CALCIUM and Mg so adding baking soda should not effect GH, but should raise KH. Baking soda contains zero calcium... If you use a tums tablet or other antiacid tablet it will raise GH AND KH, but it MUST have Calcium Carbonate as its ONLY active ingredient. You need to read the fine print of the box.

I don't quite agree with that though bryon, when ever I add calcium or Mg my fish never seem bothered. I add it for the plants, not for buffering reasons, it will still have that effect however. In a high tech tank pH normally has this wave motion going on.