Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   What meds do you keep on hand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/what-meds-do-you-keep-hand-60677/)

SweetPoison 01-23-2011 06:33 AM

What meds do you keep on hand?

I have quite a few meds for Fronts and Discus, but I'm thinkin they could be quite different. Also salt is used first with perhaps kicking up the temp ~ before other meds are used ~

I sat up my tank yesterday for my community residence ~ and today I am getting my fish! Tank has been up for years with Fronts and Dolphin and Leleupi.

Traded them in yesterday for $198 ~ I cried. And cried. :-(

Lupin 01-23-2011 06:40 AM

A few antibiotics like Baytril
salt
praziquantel
levamisole hydrochloride/fenbendazole
clove oil

Gotta have those stuff especially for quarantine and emergencies.

SweetPoison 01-23-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 567475)
salt
praziquantel
clove oil

Cool! Thank so much! I have all that, but what is Clove Oil and what is it used for?

Romad 01-23-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetPoison (Post 567480)
Cool! Thank so much! I have all that, but what is Clove Oil and what is it used for?

Clove oil is used to put a fish to sleep if you have to euthanize one :-(

SweetPoison 01-23-2011 10:25 AM

Oh. Wow. Interesting. Where would you get that, the grocery store?

aunt kymmie 01-23-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetPoison (Post 567569)
Oh. Wow. Interesting. Where would you get that, the grocery store?

I had to buy mine from the Health Food store.

aunt kymmie 01-23-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 567475)
salt
praziquantel
clove oil

Gotta have those stuff especially for quarantine and emergencies.

A very experienced fish keeper told me, when I asked the same question as you, you don't stock it until you need it, due to expiration dates. I'm looking at my packets of Furan-2. I only had to use 1/2 the box the last time I had to use this particular medication. The packets expire 7/2011, which is right around the corner. Knock wood I won't have to use it and will be able to pitch them out, and when I do that will feel like a waste of money.
Chances are you already have on hand the meds Lupes is recommending since you were keeping Discus. You probably also have alot of Metronidazole left over, which I know you're not going to need, lol.
Until I kept Discus my medicine shelf was empty as could be.
Keeping my shelf empty was easy because if I needed the meds they were easily obtainable in a day. If I lived in "the sticks" or on an island I'd probably stock pile.

Lupin 01-23-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 567506)
Clove oil is used to put a fish to sleep if you have to euthanize one :-(

It also works as a sedative. I used it to sedate a goldfish for tumor. Surgeries are not advisable though unless you have studied and planned everything carefully.

Clove oil is available as eugenol, toothache drops in pharmacies. Or try Finquel from online store.

SweetPoison 01-23-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 567582)
I had to buy mine from the Health Food store.

Good to know!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 567598)
A very experienced fish keeper told me, when I asked the same question as you, you don't stock it until you need it, due to expiration dates. I'm looking at my packets of Furan-2. I only had to use 1/2 the box the last time I had to use this particular medication. The packets expire 7/2011, which is right around the corner. Knock wood I won't have to use it and will be able to pitch them out, and when I do that will feel like a waste of money.
Chances are you already have on hand the meds Lupes is recommending since you were keeping Discus. You probably also have alot of Metronidazole left over, which I know you're not going to need, lol.
Until I kept Discus my medicine shelf was empty as could be.
Keeping my shelf empty was easy because if I needed the meds they were easily obtainable in a day. If I lived in "the sticks" or on an island I'd probably stock pile.

This is true! My community tank won't need it? Kym, I have learned so much from you in the short time I have been here and I wanted to say I so appreciate it more than you know, woman.

This forum is very lucky to have you!

SweetPoison 01-23-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 567601)
It also works as a sedative. I used it to sedate a goldfish for tumor. Surgeries are not advisable though unless you have studied and planned everything carefully.

Clove oil is available as eugenol, toothache drops in pharmacies. Or try Finquel from online store.

umm...No. I won't be attempting any home surgeries.:-D Lupin, I read all of your sticky on diseases ~

You are another one. So awesome on this site!! I am glad I found it.;-)