Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Help my granny please!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/help-my-granny-please-6064/)

Mating Slinkys 05-22-2007 10:05 PM

Help my granny please!!!

OK, i know nothing about ponds, never had one, and until i move to a place with a garden not a bridge i probably won't. But my grandmother does. She is a little bit crazy, and tends to worry a lot (when we got some new fish from the garden centre a few years ago we had to get even numbers of black and gold ones so that the ones that were different colours would have friends and not get lonely...), so i don't know quite how serious the problem is, but she says that her water goes green very quickly and the pond also gets choked with pondweed quite fast. is there anything she can put in to clear the greewater or slow down the growth of the weed. She says this makes her fish look unhappy. She's a bit tottery and needs sticks to walk so she can't manually get the weeds out without falling in. (i'd do it, but i live 300 miles away...) it's about 2ft deep and 5ft long by 3ft wide. Just got goldfish and pondweed (maybe some sort of floating lilly too) in it as far as i know. Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question but i promised the old dear that i'd find out what i could for her. let me know if there's anything else that i should have told you and i'll do my best to find out from her. thanks folks, if you can solve this you'll be making a 84 year old widow very happy...

Lupin 05-23-2007 06:03 AM

What are your water parameters? Determine your ammonia and phosphate levels. If you can afford, a UV sterilizer can be put in use to eliminate the green algae.

Mating Slinkys 05-24-2007 11:52 PM

Sadly i can't get water levels etc. as i live 300 mile away and have to rely on phone conversations. Also i doublt nana could afford a sterilizer, or cope with installing it. I realize this isn't an ideal request for help, and that it's hard to help me/her in this situation, but i was just wondering if you guys had any general adivce for keeping a pond in the uk. She says that when the pond gets too green she runs a hose into it for about 3 hours and it clears for a while, is this wise? thanks for any help despite awkward post!

Meds081603 05-25-2007 12:22 AM

my only suggestions would be as follows:

remove the weed completely, if she really wants plants try water hyacinth
throw a small bail of barley in the pond
purchase or build an algae brush with a long handle so she will not have to bend over

as for running the hose in the pond for a few hours, that is perfectly fine however I would add some prime or another dechlorinator when doing it. If the fish are older and/or the pond is large and well established you really don't need the dechlor but your fish will be much happier and less stressed if she uses it.

willow 05-25-2007 02:46 AM

hi
this time of year as we get more sun light
you will find that the pond will get greener,
when i had mine,it went like pea soup ! :( (couldn't afford a UV)
the more light you keep out,the clearer the pond will be,
you could get the little plant known as duck weed,
once that takes over,the water underneath will
be very clear.However alot of fish keepers hate
that plant.!the other thing is to create shade.water lilies
will be good.
when the sun is at it's highest,maybe place a couple
of umbrellas over the pond.?
sorry if this doesn't help much.

Mating Slinkys 05-25-2007 12:12 PM

Thanks everyone, the advice is really appreciated I'll let Nana know next time i check in with her. Especially thanks for coming up with useful suggestions for a frail 84 year old - not a usual request and your thoughtfullness is noted! Thanks again!