Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Fraggin Coral (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/fraggin-coral-60603/)

MrBishop 01-22-2011 02:03 PM

Fraggin Coral

Hi guys,

how do i frag my coral? and what should i be carful of?

many thanks

njudson 01-24-2011 11:19 AM

What sort of coral?

reefsahoy 01-24-2011 09:47 PM

that depend on the coral be careful that water don't squirt into the eyes. a reefer her had water squirt into his eye from the coral and it wasn't pretty! so wear goggles when cutting the coral. also make sure you don't have open wounds on your hands. i've heard that some polyps can kill humans and there's no know antidote. not sure how accurate that is but i wouldn't take chances.

badxgillen 01-25-2011 02:00 AM

yeah

definatly be carefull of the coral in question..palytoxins and such are really nasty.i had some blue hornet zoanthid juice get in my eye when i decided to dremel a peice off ..not good i thought i was gonna go to the emergency room but being a stuborn guy toughed it out and gained proper vision inthat eye over time..as far as fraging tell us what and we will help you out..its not hard just intimidating.

njudson 01-25-2011 08:39 AM

for Zoas I prefer to just put something (like a frag plug) next to my colony and let it naturally grow over and then remove the plug with new polyps. Not as fast as fragging it up but so easy and safe. For a hard coral like and SPS you just need something strong enough to cut thru it.

badxgillen 01-25-2011 11:55 AM

hmmm

and you should always cut not break or tear if possible.damaged tissue is an invitation to pests and infection as well as stress and prolonged healing..and sterile utencils..

ozarks bullies 02-14-2011 01:00 AM

Sorry to butt in, but an acquaintance of mine has asked me to frag her frogspawn for her because she's afraid to do it herself. I haven't looked at it yet, but she says that it's already split and we just need to break the rock. I've never fragged anything before but I need to learn.

njudson 02-14-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarks bullies (Post 589915)
Sorry to butt in, but an acquaintance of mine has asked me to frag her frogspawn for her because she's afraid to do it herself. I haven't looked at it yet, but she says that it's already split and we just need to break the rock. I've never fragged anything before but I need to learn.

Use a dremel and cut down where you don't see any tissue.

ozarks bullies 02-14-2011 09:31 AM

Coolbeans. I need to buy a Dremel anyways. She said that if I frag it for her, she will give me a piece :)

badxgillen 02-14-2011 12:06 PM

hmmm

you can use just about anything anything though i prefer to keep the coral out of water as little as possible.i just use dollar store wire cutters at a junction point of the skeleton.as said before carefull not to harm the soft tissues.you may also cultivate the little mini heads you are sure to find right belllow the large heads.just grab some supper glue gel and snap a couple off with you fingers.attach to a rock with the glue and in a couple of months you got more baby euhyllia.good luck ..its cake..oh and if you do decide to use a dremel for some reason dont forget the eye ware.coral skeleton is rather sharp.