Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Possible temperature shock? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/possible-temperature-shock-60589/)

brancasterr 01-22-2011 09:42 AM

Possible temperature shock?
 
Hey all,

I just finished with a 3-day blackout that successfully got rid of a lot of algae. However, because it was covered for a while, the temperature rose to about 81 in there. I didn't realize this until I did a water change and starting adding new water. So I figured I better not stop. The final temperature after the water change is 76. So I had a 5 degree shift in a matter of 15-20 minutes.

Will this cause any harm to my fish? :(

cbirk 01-22-2011 09:45 AM

I don't think 5 degrees in 15-20 minutes will do much if any damage, as long as it really was gradual over that amount of time. When you get new fish you float them in your tank for 10-15 minutes, I think this is essentially the same thing.

brancasterr 01-22-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbirk (Post 566655)
I don't think 5 degrees in 15-20 minutes will do much if any damage, as long as it really was gradual over that amount of time. When you get new fish you float them in your tank for 10-15 minutes, I think this is essentially the same thing.

That's true. Well the tank cleaning process took about 15-20 minutes. I slowly added the water over a period of maybe 10 minutes, so that's when the real temperature decrease occurred. However, none of my fish are acting stressed or anything. They seem quite happy their water isn't green anymore. :P

aunt kymmie 01-22-2011 10:00 AM

I'm not sure what fish you have in your tank but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cause any long term damage. I agree with cbirk. I'm glad your black out worked!

brancasterr 01-22-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 566669)
I'm not sure what fish you have in your tank but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cause any long term damage. I agree with cbirk. I'm glad your black out worked!

I have neons, cory cats, and adf's :)
And thank you!

jeaninel 01-22-2011 12:01 PM

I think you'll be fine too. I know with cories a drop in water temperature may actually trigger them to spawn as it simulates a cool rain shower like what they would get in the wild.

brancasterr 01-22-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 566738)
I think you'll be fine too. I know with cories a drop in water temperature may actually trigger them to spawn as it simulates a cool rain shower like what they would get in the wild.

Really? That would be awesome if my cories spawned. I bet it highly unlikely though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2