hair algae wont go away!
Im lucky to not have had a problem in my tank for months. Now it seems that I have caught some hair algae somewhere! It is spreading fast!
Yesterday I tried API Algae Fix, as reccomended by my LFS. Right after I put it in my tank my fish went to the bottom to cower in my rocks. I thought this was odd, but gave them the night to relax. When I woke up, they were still cowering, and someone died! So I immidiately put my filter back in and right away the fish cameout of hiding and started doing their normal thing. Thank goodness I only lost one fish!
Clearly the chemical fix is not how i want to go, so what do I do now? Hair algae is still spreading like crazy, in my gravel, my plants, the filter everything! The only other fix I have found for this is the 72 hour blackout. Should I do it?
Or should I hand scrub everything and replace my plants?
I have a 20 gallon with medium lighting, just replaced the bulb. Im religious with water changes, and have real SAE's in there to help out! Other than the hair algae, everyone is doing great! Oh and I have about 13 fish in there and a snail.
Do you have any live plants?? If so Do you use ferts??
How long do you keep your light on???
Here is a great article about it. Control of Red Algae in the Freshwater Aquarium
I am having a small issue with this as well... please let me know how you do.
OK so I THINK I fixed the problem....but I did it the hard way.
I took out all of my decorations and plants and scrubbed them with steel wool. I thought the hair algae would slip right off, but it took some scrubbing. The plants that were delicate unfortunately got thrown away. My decorations were salvageable but they had to sit out over night to kill the algae, I scrubbed the dead algae off the next day. I'm still too scared to but them back in! But I scrubbed everything IN the tank like my filter and stuff with a tooth brush. I also got a 3 lb bag of gravel, picked out the gravel i could see with algae, and then covered the infected layer with a clean layer, hoping that the algae underneath would die without sunlight. So far so good. I'm turning my lights on in the morning so my fish's body clocks dont go haywire for like three hours then keeping the lights off for the rest of the day and night. The remaining algae that I can see in my tank (I missed some) is changing colors and seems to be dying. I'm pretty sure that's because it doesnt have enough light.
Hopefully this helps, because my algae appears to be dead and is not spreading anymore. But there MUST be an easier (and cheaper, I had to replace some plants) way of doing it!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.