Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Hello has anyone ever cycled a new tank with shrimp? please lend me a hand:)

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  leogtr 
#1 ·
Hi everyone today is my first day to add a shrimp to the aquarium. I have added 3 plants, stress zyme and safe start by tetra. I am very patient and will wait as long as I need to add the fish. I heard that the shrimp method of cycling a tank is a good method so has anyone ever done this with a newly established tank?

thank you for your help!!!

#2 ·
My girlfriend had a tank cycle with ghost shrimp they were not looking too hot, so I placed them in one of my established tanks. Not sure about any other kind of shrimp.

#6 ·
yes it is the raw shrimp method :)

well see I was thinking since the shrimp takes a while to release the ammonia then I should probably get the test kit in a week or two maybe? I was able to exchange the test strips and got a couple more plants. The master test kit is 30 dollars so Im gonna hold off on that one until I have some more money...so far Ive spent about 270 dollars on this tank and I dont even have the hood, the light, or the fish yet :|

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well color me red. I didn't know there WAS a raw shrimp method! See this is why I love this forum. Always learning something new haha.

#7 ·
It's a great time to start the cycle.

It's impossible to cycle the shrimp "too long". The longer, the stronger the bacteria will be.
If you want to know a secret to innoculating the tank-

Go outside, get some soil. Grind it up real fine.
Add about 1/2 tsp to your tank after ammonia appears. Now, not only to you have a wide variety of good bacteria, but by the time you add fish, you'll have tons of infusoria and planaria to act as fish food. You'll see tiny little worms and dots in the tank, but they're the sign of a healthy ecosystem.

(make sure not to add any rocks or roots- just soil.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.