Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What should I bring home for an empty tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-should-i-bring-home-empty-60520/)

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 05:21 PM

What should I bring home for an empty tank?

I am trading in all my fish tomorrow ~ so I can start my community tank. So my tank will be empty. Shouldn't I bring some fish home to keep the bio filter up so until I get all my fish?

How long can a tank go without fish?

Also ~ I have a list of fish I have researched and decided on. Would you buy them all at once?

ekolyne 01-21-2011 05:48 PM

1lb of gravel for every gallon
some live plants and some decor

ghostgirl 01-21-2011 06:00 PM

Keep the filter with all the media running and keep the substrate in there as well. Add one or two fish at a time each week. I believe the tank will be fine as long as it is running. More experienced people will be able to tell you a bit better than I.

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekolyne (Post 565942)
1lb of gravel for every gallon
some live plants and some decor

I would never use gravel in my tanks. I am really talking about fish. I have all my decorations.

Thanks, anyways!

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgirl (Post 565963)
Keep the filter with all the media running and keep the substrate in there as well. Add one or two fish at a time each week. I believe the tank will be fine as long as it is running. More experienced people will be able to tell you a bit better than I.

I do plan on keeping the sand and I have two well seasoned AQ 110 on the 125. One or two fish at a time, each week.

Sounds like a plan! They are pretty small fishes though....I have Fronts now! Still add just one or two?

ghostgirl 01-21-2011 08:58 PM

yeah still 1 or 2. It will keep your tank from doing a mini cycle. I may be over cautious but I have had a few bad experiences and I am definitely a better safe then sorry person now when it comes to fish.

aunt kymmie 01-21-2011 09:27 PM

Is this going to be a planted tank? If so, the amount of fish you can put in it at one time is very different than an unplanted tank.

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgirl (Post 566196)
yeah still 1 or 2. It will keep your tank from doing a mini cycle. I may be over cautious but I have had a few bad experiences and I am definitely a better safe then sorry person now when it comes to fish.

Okay. Cool! Thank You!

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 566226)
Is this going to be a planted tank? If so, the amount of fish you can put in it at one time is very different than an unplanted tank.

Oh No. Not real ones, anyway!

SeaHorse 01-21-2011 10:41 PM

Hi SweetPoison. What were you thinking of getting for your tank? Would you share your list? I guess the order that you buy them may depend on what your LFS has in stock at the time. Looking forward to seeing your plan!