Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   One Oranda GF causing a dirty mess. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/one-oranda-gf-causing-dirty-mess-60500/)

lilchiwolf 01-21-2011 12:24 PM

One Oranda GF causing a dirty mess.

So I rescued this gray oranda a feew weeks ago. He is about 3 1/2 inches and in a 10gal with my pleco temporarily till I get my 75gal up and running at the new house. Now I have had many of goldfish before and I know how dirty they can be, but this guy by himself is crazy dirty! My 55gal with 4 goldies was never like this one oranda.

I have been doing 25% water changes a day for the past 2 weeks now. The temperature as at 76`F. I add in a little StressZime, StressCoat and aquarium salt ever other change. No luck, its clear for a few hours and gets dirty again. Its brown!

I only feed him sinking pellets twice a day, and not very much. There is good air flow and close to 2 inches of gravel, no plants.

Can anyone help me???

Romad 01-21-2011 01:06 PM

Yeah they are messy aren't they? And the plecs are notorious poopers so you've got a double whammy there.

But I'm pretty sure that AQ salt is not good for plecs. (scaleless). Why are you adding salt to the tank?

lilchiwolf 01-21-2011 01:12 PM

I always did before cause that what the fish doctor told me to do to prevent illnesses. I never had and issue with the salt before with the pleco. I only add about a half a shot glass full, and that's only when I do a 50% water change. But I just can't gett his tank water nice and clean. You think I should do larger water changes and only feed once a day?

eileen 01-21-2011 01:50 PM

Why do you have the temp. at 76. I thought Godfish did not need a heated tank. They do best in cold water. I would just feed once a day. I would use a filter that is a higher rating then the tank. I used a 75 gal. hang on filter for my 55 gal. Over filtering is better then under as those Goldfish do produce alot of waste and need a good filter to handle it.I always thought that adding live plants do a tank wonders.

I had an outside tub pond that was unfiltered and I used water Hyacinth and Hornwort to keep the water good. My Tropical fish magazine said those plants suck out the Nitrates,Nitrites, Ammonia out of the water some Sewage plants use these because they work so well. Maybe you should get a plastic tub from Home Depot and go to a pond shop and buy some Water Hyacininth and Hornwort and put the Goldfish outdoors. It would not hurt to put a filter in the outside pond. I did not have a filter in my outside pond just a small water fountain. I only had endlers in mine over the spring and summer time. I had alot of babies born in that unfiltered tub pond. I have a post on it in the Pond section of this forum Type in Unfiltered Tub Pond. I alway think that Goldfish should be kept outside in a pond instead of in a tank in the house and they do well outside like Koi.

Lupin 01-22-2011 03:03 AM

Orandas are fine with 76 degrees. Fancies in general prefer warmer water, not exceeding 78 degrees on a long term basis. Singletails however prefer cooler water.

Make sure your filtration has 10x turnover rate if you want to keep goldfish. It's one way to handle their bioload. Actually, this is just one of the many rules in keeping goldfish since it's not easy to keep them as some people would think.

Stop using salt. There is really no need for you to do that. The risk of creating salt-resistant pathogens is there. Use it only if you are dealing with health issues. And not all plecos are salt-intolerant. I keep a 5-year old bristlenose pleco that actually loved to graze on undissolved salt grains (done by accident as I was treating for ich and thought I dissolved everything) with no issues at all.

lilchiwolf 01-22-2011 10:20 PM

Thank you so much. He does have a ELETE30 filter in that tank. Filter 147gph. I just did a 80% water change, no salt this morning. Went to work, came back and his tank is still nice! He is swimming like crazy and playing in the bubbles. I can't wait to get him in a bigger home. Just a few more months to wait!:-D

Lupin 01-23-2011 06:26 AM

That's cool. 8-)

Romad 01-23-2011 09:04 AM

Stop using salt. There is really no need for you to do that. The risk of creating salt-resistant pathogens is there. Use it only if you are dealing with health issues. And not all plecos are salt-intolerant. I keep a 5-year old Bristlenose Pleco that actually loved to graze on undissolved salt grains (done by accident as I was treating for ich and thought I dissolved everything) with no issues at all.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...#ixzz1Brp73O74

Well I guess you learn something new everyday. That's why I love this forum!