Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Do you use Carbon in community tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/do-you-use-carbon-community-tank-60443/)

SweetPoison 01-20-2011 07:03 PM

Do you use Carbon in community tank?
 
I come from the Discus world and we do not advocate the use of carbon in our filters as it takes out nutrients needed in the water. Also it is believed that carbon contributes to HITH. We do use carbon for 24 hours after hitting the tank with meds after the treatment ~ to take out the medications.

I have never used carbon otherwise. Is it necessary for a community tank? I am getting ready to turn my 125 gallon tank into one!

aunt kymmie 01-20-2011 07:13 PM

I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. All my tanks are planted and as you say, carbon sucks all the nutrients out of the water that the plants need.
Just curious, why not another Discus tank?? Been there, done that?? ;-)

SweetPoison 01-20-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 565114)
I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. All my tanks are planted and as you say, carbon sucks all the nutrients out of the water that the plants need.
Just curious, why not another Discus tank?? Been there, done that?? ;-)



Ya know. I so thought about. I love that fish! I raised these guys from quarter size ~ they require a lot of work, and daily water changes at least the first 6 months, IMO.

But....I just don't know! lol! I am so glad to hear you don't use carbon!



http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3..._2491Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3..._2477Small.jpg

zof 01-20-2011 08:23 PM

Planted tank here to so I don't use carbon, carbon to me just seems like a stop gap measure for the lazy fish keeper, hence why all new HOB filters come with it. To me its just there to help cover neglect and negligence.

aunt kymmie 01-20-2011 08:26 PM

From a quarter size? Nice work. After all those multiple feedings and water changes no wonder you're think about doing something different!

jeaninel 01-20-2011 09:32 PM

No carbon here also. Just use it to remove meds when needed.

Your discus were gorgeous. They are hard work but it looks like it paid off.

edit: I just noticed you are in Sac. I'm just south of you in Galt. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 565147)
. After all those multiple feedings and water changes no wonder you're think about doing something different!


Ya think? You have no idea! I am a discus pro, I will admit. But they are so much work ~ all my discus I got store credit of $700 ~ I cried for days. Had bad dreams. Can barely look at this picture ~ it is only fish only fish! That is how I was able to move to Fronts and my 125 gallon from that 55gal.

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 565194)
No carbon here also. Just use it to remove meds when needed.

Your discus were gorgeous. They are hard work but it looks like it paid off.

edit: I just noticed you are in Sac. I'm just south of you in Galt. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you! Galt?? Seriously? How cool is that!! You are what, 20, 30 min from Sac!

We should meet, woman!

SweetPoison 01-21-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 565146)
Planted tank here to so I don't use carbon, carbon to me just seems like a stop gap measure for the lazy fish keeper, hence why all new HOB filters come with it. To me its just there to help cover neglect and negligence.

You're funny!

bearwithfish 01-21-2011 09:03 AM

i dont keep discus but i have not used carbon in any fresh water tanks in over a year and a half and to be honest i like the tanks better with out it... (i used it briefly in a salt set up but learned fast that was not a good idea either LOL)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2