Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Help with the cichlids please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/help-cichlids-please-60429/)

snue 01-20-2011 04:19 PM

Help with the cichlids please

So after removing my old substrate for being suspicious that it killed 3 of my silver dollars, i finally got the tank cycled with the remaining 2 silver dollars + 2 added like what the shop suggested. The tank is 350 litre with eheim 2217 and recently added aquis 1200 canisters.

After the tank was cycled I wanted to add a oscar + convict and that would have been the tank complete, but the shop suggested that I get a severum aswell to spread the aggression. So I added oscar 3cm, convict 3cm, severum 6cm, the severum was aggresive towards the oscar and silver dollars so I rung the shop and wanted to return it, they told me that if I took the severum out, then the convict would probably take the aggressive roll and it would become worse because there would be no fish to spread the aggresion.

So the shop suggested that I get a blood parrot and a adult pearl eartheater because the severum would not attact the adult eartheater because its the largest fish in my tank, and that the blood parrot can stick up for itself, and it is slightly bigger than the severum.

So I took the advice and brought the fish, the blood parrot was suprisingly expensive compared to all the other fish in my tank I wonder why.

Anyway it looks like the severum is well behaved now but the blood parrot has made a little home in this little house i brought for it, and it cleans it out every day and it only comes out to eat or if the severum or convict or oscar swim past, then it chases them and bashes them then goes back home.

Why http://www.fishforums.net/public/sty...fault/sad2.gif??
any suggestions please.

So I would like to know if this aggresion is normal, what I can try to fix it, and is the black background on my tank ok, it seems that the fish can see their reflection in it, and the blood parrot in paticular doesnt like it at all AND I havent seen the eartheater eat I think it cant see the small 1mm sinking cichlid food I put in or the floating mini cichlid food which only the silver dollars eat, I dont think that theres much food in the sand so I hope its not starving, It did however eat a couple of bloodworms when I fed those.

Any help would be most appreciated by me and my fish.

Thankyou Courtney.

Here are some pictures and video ive included of the fish, my phone camera is very budget so sorry, and the parrot wouldnt come out,

http://restricted.co.nz/ishyfay/IMG_20110121_095110.jpg
scaroay - Albino tiger oscar

http://restricted.co.nz/ishyfay/IMG_20110121_095330.jpg
onviccay - Convict with a bit of orange on it

http://restricted.co.nz/ishyfay/IMG_20110121_095208.jpg
everumsay - Green severum

http://restricted.co.nz/ishyfay/IMG_20110121_095402.jpg
arrotpay - Blood parrot

http://restricted.co.nz/ishyfay/IMG_20110121_095243.jpg
Eartheater - dont know what kind, I lost the receipt. started with a S i think.

And video

jeaninel 01-20-2011 09:06 PM

Nice fish. I really like that wood with the hole in the center too. Cichlids are very territorial and it may take awhile for them to sort out their pecking order. Breaking the line of sight and providing lots of caves, wood and rocks to make several different territories will help. Looks like the parrot has claimed that cute little house as his and anytime someone gets too close he chases them away. He will outgrow that though.

Not certain, but I think your eartheater is Geophagus Altifrons which is often sold as Geophagus Surinamensis. But Surinamensis is very rare and hardly ever seen in the trade. And I think your convict is a female due to the orange belly.

snue 01-23-2011 02:03 AM

Thank you very much for your reply jeaninel, i appreciate all your help and infomation you have provided. And thank you for your compliment on the piece of wood, the convict quite likes it too, unfortunately someone on another forum said that my tank will become over stocked when all the fish grow so we will be saving to get another tank within a couple of months, we will also be moving in that time since we would like a dog and cat and our small appartment isant ideal for any of our pets lol.

Thanks again,.

LasColinasCichlids 01-30-2011 11:00 PM

[quote=snue;565007]So after removing my old substrate for being suspicious that it killed 3 of my silver dollars, i finally got the tank cycled with the remaining 2 silver dollars + 2 added like what the shop suggested. The tank is 350 litre with eheim 2217 and recently added aquis 1200 canisters.

After the tank was cycled I wanted to add a oscar + convict and that would have been the tank complete, but the shop suggested that I get a severum aswell to spread the aggression. So I added oscar 3cm, convict 3cm, severum 6cm, the severum was aggresive towards the oscar and silver dollars so I rung the shop and wanted to return it, they told me that if I took the severum out, then the convict would probably take the aggressive roll and it would become worse because there would be no fish to spread the aggresion.

So the shop suggested that I get a blood parrot and a adult pearl eartheater because the severum would not attact the adult eartheater because its the largest fish in my tank, and that the blood parrot can stick up for itself, and it is slightly bigger than the severum.

So I took the advice and brought the fish, the blood parrot was suprisingly expensive compared to all the other fish in my tank I wonder why.

Anyway it looks like the severum is well behaved now but the blood parrot has made a little home in this little house i brought for it, and it cleans it out every day and it only comes out to eat or if the severum or convict or oscar swim past, then it chases them and bashes them then goes back home.

Why http://www.fishforums.net/public/sty...fault/sad2.gif??
any suggestions please.

So I would like to know if this aggresion is normal, what I can try to fix it, and is the black background on my tank ok, it seems that the fish can see their reflection in it, and the blood parrot in paticular doesnt like it at all AND I havent seen the eartheater eat I think it cant see the small 1mm sinking cichlid food I put in or the floating mini cichlid food which only the silver dollars eat, I dont think that theres much food in the sand so I hope its not starving, It did however eat a couple of bloodworms when I fed those. [quote]

First of all, your tank is like 90 gallons...which is plenty large for all those fish, however, the biggest concern will be the oscar as it gets older, as it will be the largest fish in the tank, and a lot of oscars can terrorize and kill everything in its tank. The only fish I have known to be housed with an oscar and beat it is a Pacu. I would keep an eye on the oscar's aggression as it gets larger (and it will get larger, and fast!!).

The severum is generally a good tankmate for the Blood Red Parrot. BRP can not bite since its teeth are in its throat, so until it is large enough to body slam the other fish in defense (or to bully) I would keep close eye...however it sounds like your BRP has already established its spot and should be fine.

As your cichlids grow larger, I dont know if your silver dollars will make it. If you are looking for a good dither fish for cichlids I personally would recommend tiger barbs in a school of 5 or more.

Your convict will get to around 5, maybe 6 inches, which other than the silver dollars that makes him the smallest fish at full grown in the tank. The BRP will be around 8+ inches in length. The severum will also be around 8 inches full grown. And the oscar can reach 12 inches or more in the first year!

There is always aggression with cichlids. But dispersing the agression through many cichlids is helpful and spreads it out among multiple fish verses one getting the crap beat out of him. Plenty of caves. Your tank size is perfect, and with cichlids you can slightly overstock if aggression is too big of an issue if you know what you are doing with them.

But my advice is to remove the oscar. He will be the biggest issue. Maybe replace him with a Firemouth? I would definately try to make sure all your cichlids are in the 6-8 inch range for full grown size. And to keep them all similar in size at all times. The largest cichlid usually rules in most generalized cases.

As far as the BRP protecting that cave it could be more than just establishing its spot. If it is a female, it could have laid eggs inside there (although normally laid on top of a smooth rock), and is guarding them while waiting on a male BRP to come and fertilize them. And if your convict is a male, and the BRP a female, there is a small chance of reproduction.

As far as the black background, I think its a great choice. The glass is naturally reflective so they will act like that regardless.

Hope this helps.

snue 01-30-2011 11:24 PM

Thank you LasColinasCichlids for your kind reply.

The information on the oscar is very interesting and we will definately take that into consideration. Basically our plan is to save for another tank and buy it if there is too much aggression, and if the oscar does get aggressive then we could buy the backup tank and move it and maybe get a friend for him. The back up tank will be around the same size as this tank if we do get it, and if we do get another tank do you have any recommended tank mates for oscars ? I really do think our oscar is a gentle one but he is so small i dont know, what about 2 oscars in a tank of similar size, since the oscar is the reason we even have fish we feel as though we have to keep him plus hes so cute when he eats, i think its a he lol. But thats only if the oscar does play up, hes the least aggressive in the tank, well hes not aggressive at all, the silver dollars are worse, but that might be because hes the smallest at the moment, very small, he seems so well behaved but i will just have to wait and see I guess,.

The blood parrot is definately the meanest in the tank, but she has so much personality i love her, her and the severum always fight but the blood parrot prettymuch attacks everyone, the parrot is nice to the oscar though and only bumps the oscar softly and sometimes ignores him. The convict has bright colors all over the bottom of her body which only developed the other day, purples and blues, very strange, i didnt know they were colorful.

I really appreciate your reply, thank you for taking the time to help me.

Courtney

LasColinasCichlids 01-31-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snue (Post 575136)
Thank you LasColinasCichlids for your kind reply.

The information on the oscar is very interesting and we will definately take that into consideration. Basically our plan is to save for another tank and buy it if there is too much aggression, and if the oscar does get aggressive then we could buy the backup tank and move it and maybe get a friend for him. The back up tank will be around the same size as this tank if we do get it, and if we do get another tank do you have any recommended tank mates for oscars ? I really do think our oscar is a gentle one but he is so small i dont know, what about 2 oscars in a tank of similar size, since the oscar is the reason we even have fish we feel as though we have to keep him plus hes so cute when he eats, i think its a he lol. But thats only if the oscar does play up, hes the least aggressive in the tank, well hes not aggressive at all, the silver dollars are worse, but that might be because hes the smallest at the moment, very small, he seems so well behaved but i will just have to wait and see I guess,.

The blood parrot is definately the meanest in the tank, but she has so much personality i love her, her and the severum always fight but the blood parrot prettymuch attacks everyone, the parrot is nice to the oscar though and only bumps the oscar softly and sometimes ignores him. The convict has bright colors all over the bottom of her body which only developed the other day, purples and blues, very strange, i didnt know they were colorful.

I really appreciate your reply, thank you for taking the time to help me.

Courtney

You are more than welcomed.
Tank mates for the Oscar...well when he gets full grown or on his way to it, the only suitable tankmates are other oscars of similar size and personality and a large pleco. I have seen them successfully house with a large red bellied pacu, but the pacu generally gets too mean and will throw the oscar out of the tank...which by the way, when larger, its very common for the oscar to throw unwanted tankmates out of the tank.
Him being the smallest right now and being so young is why he isnt an issue. In 9-12 months he will be very large and mean. But the cool thing about the oscars is that when they get use to you and such they will allow you to feed them by hand. They have HUGE personalities and are great fish when the tank size is right (which yours is), and when there arent tankmates that are in danger.
The BRP at its meanest cant do as much damage as the other cichlids since its teeth are in its throat and the others have theirs in their mouth where a bite can do damage. But BRP are AWESOME! I love them, one of my favorite fish, and definately my favorite cichlid. I would love to have two myself, but I dont have the right size tank to properly house them.
Yeah, convicts can get nice coloring.
Glad you are enjoying your fish. Anytime, feel free to ask me any questions, if I know the answers I will be glad to share, or direct you to someone who can.