Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New aquarium and how does the filter works? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-aquarium-how-does-filter-works-60330/)

Shamu 01-19-2011 03:43 PM

New aquarium and how does the filter works?

Hi All,

Ever since I took my daughter to visit our local fish store, my daughter has been asking for an aquarium and I know nothing about it. So I did some research and found JBJ Nano cube has good reviews but I think it is a bit pricey. I found a base nano cube aquarium on Ebay:Linky and have a few questions on how the filter (3 compartment) works. According to the seller, all I need is a 1/2" bulkhead and a low powered pump like a maxijet 400.

Does the overflow water goes to chamber1 and then chamber 2 and then go to chamber 3 where it goes back to the aquarium? Is there anything I should put in Chamber 1 and chamber 2? For starters, I am planning to put some neon tetras in there since that is what she likes the most hehe :).

zof 01-19-2011 07:17 PM

Welcome, this seems a little too complicated of a setup for a first timer, plus on the size of tank its going to take away too much swimming room, with something this size a simple air driven sponge filter should be just fine.

If you haven't already check out this link http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/ - this will explain a bit about the natural processes going on in an aquarium.

You can probably go to your local fish store or big box store and pick up something similar for cheaper that will suit you well, also remember for tropical fish you will need a heater so the water doesn't get too cold.

Shamu 01-19-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 564422)
Welcome, this seems a little too complicated of a setup for a first timer, plus on the size of tank its going to take away too much swimming room, with something this size a simple air driven sponge filter should be just fine.

If you haven't already check out this link http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/ - this will explain a bit about the natural processes going on in an aquarium.

You can probably go to your local fish store or big box store and pick up something similar for cheaper that will suit you well, also remember for tropical fish you will need a heater so the water doesn't get too cold.

Zof,

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice. Yes, that is what I am afraid with buying these base tank that comes with nothing in it so I decided to browse through Craiglist. I found an incredible deal on a 6 gallon fluval for $45 ad while I was talking to the guy, he also mentioned that he is selling a 16 gallon with matching stand for $55 so I decided to buy both. The fluval comes with filter and heater while the 16 gallon bow front only comes with heater so I will need to do some research on which filter to get. Any idea? Boy, I think I am getting myself into trouble having two tanks with no knowledge at all.

aunt kymmie 01-19-2011 09:36 PM

Welcome to TFK, Shamu! I'm glad you decided to browse craigslist. It is where I have picked all my tanks for kick butt prices. I use Marineland's Stealth heaters in all my tanks. I've read where people have had problems with them but I never have. You're not getting into trouble having two tanks, you'll learn everything you need to know right here!

Shamu 01-20-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 564553)
Welcome to TFK, Shamu! I'm glad you decided to browse craigslist. It is where I have picked all my tanks for kick butt prices. I use Marineland's Stealth heaters in all my tanks. I've read where people have had problems with them but I never have. You're not getting into trouble having two tanks, you'll learn everything you need to know right here!

Thank you Kymmie! We brought our tanks home yesterday and we are super excited. The Fluval is so adorable and can pretty much fit anywhere and the 16 gallon with matching stand will be on the first floor. I discussed with wifey what type of fish we are going to get for these tanks and we decided the following.

Fluvel:
Tetras + ghost shrimp?

16 Gallon:
3 - 4 gold fish (Pearl skin and fancy fantails).

My question is, what type of environment I have to create for these gold fish? I am planning to do a planted tank but not sure if that is ideal for gold fish. Any suggestion?

Cheers,
Shamu

Edit: I did some research on the gold fish and it looks like the first gold fish needs 20 gallon and the next 10 gallon. Darn... it looks like gold fish is out of the question :(. Now I am not sure what to put in our 16 gallon tank...

burnsbabe 01-20-2011 01:53 PM

Yeah. Glad you did the research on the goldfish there. They're pretty messy and require fairly large tanks. Depending on the type of tetras, you may actually want to put them in the 16g. Some of them get big enough that 6 gallons won't be enough swimming space.

For the six I'd look into ember tetras, some of the micro rasbora species, and celestial pearl danios. First thing first though, get your hardware squared away and learn a bit about your water. Grab an API master freshwater test kit. It'll let you determine what pH your water is and whether it is hard or soft. These are important things to know.

zof 01-20-2011 07:18 PM

Both of these tanks are small enough to just use a sponge filter on, which is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go anyways.

I do have comment about the ghost shrimp, I had some in my tanks until I caught one chewing on a fry I was looking forward to raising then they all died by the hand of the aquarium god. Any fish small enough and not fast enough might become a feast for these guys.

xdaCostax 01-20-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamu (Post 564427)
Zof,

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice. Yes, that is what I am afraid with buying these base tank that comes with nothing in it so I decided to browse through Craiglist. I found an incredible deal on a 6 gallon fluval for $45 ad while I was talking to the guy, he also mentioned that he is selling a 16 gallon with matching stand for $55 so I decided to buy both. The fluval comes with filter and heater while the 16 gallon bow front only comes with heater so I will need to do some research on which filter to get. Any idea? Boy, I think I am getting myself into trouble having two tanks with no knowledge at all.

Youll be fine, I just started myself and actually just upgraded to a 16g bow today :)
About which filter to get, theres a few brands out there and they all make it easy for you to know which one is recommended for whatever amount of gallons.
I currently run a Marineland Penguin 100 for it.