Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Who would eat Guppy babies without hurting any of the adult fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/who-would-eat-guppy-babies-without-60323/)

Inga 01-19-2011 02:20 PM

Who would eat Guppy babies without hurting any of the adult fish?

Just what it says, Who would eat baby Guppies without killing the adult fish? I need some population control if I am going to keep my Guppies. I do not want the numbers to continue increasing but I also don't want to add someone that could hurt my adult fish. If they nip off a whole bunch of the fry, alright. In fact, if they dine on any resulting fry, that would be fantastic. Any ideas?

I know they say the adult Guppies would eat the babies but I have not found that to be true. My babies have no problems in the tank currently. I have tried to separate the sexes too but... it seems once bred, they keep on popping fry out. Heck my males are bothering the female Platies in the larger tank. Sleezy little guys, aren't they?

Blaxicanlatino 01-19-2011 03:34 PM

American guppies lol jk. Yes i am American btw XD anyway i have a female betta in my tank of guppies and she seems to do a good job at eating the fry.

La Reina 01-19-2011 06:46 PM

I've heard rams are good fry eaters. And gourami.

Chickenfoot87 01-20-2011 04:16 PM

Females can keep giving birth to babies for months even after the males have been removed. You can add Danios, they are fast and hungry and shouldn't bother your guppies. If your water quality is good you can add tetras; I recommend the easier to keep varieties like black skirt tetras, glowlight tetras or Black neons.

Inga 01-21-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Reina (Post 564378)
I've heard rams are good fry eaters. And gourami.

Yeah, that is what I had heard too. I added my 5 inch long Opaline Gourami for awhile in hopes she would eat some of the fry too. She lived peacefully with all the fry swimming around her. Guess there are exceptions to every rule. ha ha I will have to look into Danios or Rams

ghostgirl 01-21-2011 07:38 PM

I have the same problem. Except I started breeding the guppies for food. Well my 5 Balas are apparently just down right lazy. lol they will swim with the babies and not take one little bite :( my neon tetras stay to the bottom of the tank while the fry stay at the top so they don't go after them and the adult guppies couldn't care less. lol I guess I will be looking into rams. Worse comes to worst I may have to learn how to ship fish so I can sell them.

aunt kymmie 01-21-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 566143)
Yeah, that is what I had heard too. I added my 5 inch long Opaline Gourami for awhile in hopes she would eat some of the fry too. She lived peacefully with all the fry swimming around her. Guess there are exceptions to every rule. ha ha I will have to look into Danios or Rams

Inga, remind me what's in the tank again? Is this your guppy tank? (not your 60gl, right?)

iamgray 01-22-2011 12:04 PM

I have a tank with guppies, platies, and neon tetras... 1 male guppy, 2 females... I have seen my females get fat then skinny then fat then skinny multiple times, so i assume that they have dropped numerrous fry... but i have never seen a single one. So I assume that platies and/or neons are good at eating fry.

redchigh 01-22-2011 01:33 PM

In a bare tank, the guppies will eat their own fry.
In a mostly bare tank, platies and danios will eat most of the fry the adults miss.

In a heavily planted tank (or a dark tank), you will have 50 million guppies in 2 weeks. lol.

Lupin 01-23-2011 05:32 AM

Tetras also help eat the fry. They're carnivorous after all.