Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Male or Female Black Belt Cichlid? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/male-female-black-belt-cichlid-60217/)

rikochet1 01-18-2011 09:32 AM

Male or Female Black Belt Cichlid?

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this fish about 2yrs ago and was told it is a male but I'm not sure. Fish constantly rearranges the tank. Had found one web site that said the eye color can determine the sex. This fish has like a goldish color at the top and then blue. Can anyone help me?

kattty 01-18-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikochet1 (Post 563068)
I bought this fish about 2yrs ago and was told it is a male but I'm not sure. Fish constantly rearranges the tank. Had found one web site that said the eye color can determine the sex. This fish has like a goldish color at the top and then blue. Can anyone help me?

Yeah, I actually just sold mine to a reputable and knowledgable guy who's been into fish keeping for awhile now...first time he's seen one in a long time...(we're in canada)

haha I had my guy for just over 2 years and, for the life of me I couldn't sex him(it) either..theres not a lot on the internet about them, but I was reading somewhere about their hump on their head will protrude once they hit a certian age?..but the guy who took him from me mentioned that could take years...and something about the females being darker...something about their dorsal fine area he mentioned as well..I'll have to ask him again for you..but ya, I got really exhausted with having to put the tank back together every other day ..glad its not just mine:Phaha

But to me, yours looks like a female..mines wayyy lighter than that.

beautiful fish though:)love the colours.

rikochet1 01-18-2011 12:07 PM

Thanks, What did you sell yours for? I have been thinking about selling this one, not real sure what these fish are worth. She really needs more room and I would like to get some colorful fish that my daughter can look at. This one just eats anything I put in there.

kattty 01-18-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikochet1 (Post 563131)
Thanks, What did you sell yours for? I have been thinking about selling this one, not real sure what these fish are worth. She really needs more room and I would like to get some colorful fish that my daughter can look at. This one just eats anything I put in there.

Yeah..It was hard for me to sell, simply because over the years I personally haven't found another black belt..I'm not sure where your located, but my main concern was making sure that where he went was an appropriate home..probably because I had him for such a period of time..

I sold him for $20.00(canadian)..I'm sure they're worth more, my guy was pushing 9" , but I didn't want him going to just anyone..and money wasn't really a factor.

However, the guy never complained about the price haha..he sends me FB message updates on his progress:)..haha I know,a lil corny but..I really wanted to start building my tank up with live plants and ect..and there was NOWAY that was happening with him..I literally came home to mountians of gravel and a bare tank bottom daily lol ..that lil bugger!

Do you mean"eats anything"...as in the fish?lol or..food .

rikochet1 01-18-2011 01:47 PM

Literally, anything. Fish, pellets, flakes... And yea I know about the mounds of gravel. this one does that also. Tried putting in some little caves with fake plants attached (had some guppies in there at one time) but dang fish just ripped off all the plants and tipped over the caves. I hate to get rid of her but she really needs a larger tank and maybe some friends of her own kind. She just pretty much just sits behind the largest cave unless one of my cats walks by or its feeding time. I'm in Florida, and finding a good home is my top priority.

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 01-18-2011 02:25 PM

Beautiful fish

kattty 01-18-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikochet1 (Post 563196)
Literally, anything. Fish, pellets, flakes... And yea I know about the mounds of gravel. this one does that also. Tried putting in some little caves with fake plants attached (had some guppies in there at one time) but dang fish just ripped off all the plants and tipped over the caves. I hate to get rid of her but she really needs a larger tank and maybe some friends of her own kind. She just pretty much just sits behind the largest cave unless one of my cats walks by or its feeding time. I'm in Florida, and finding a good home is my top priority.

Thats funny..Yeah I fed my guy a variety of pellets, spirulina flake, blood worms ..veggies like lettuce and spinch..ect..PIG..

Good luck finding a good home if thats the route you choose:)