Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Green water; how do I get rid of it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/green-water-how-do-i-get-60210/)

brancasterr 01-18-2011 02:46 AM

Green water; how do I get rid of it?

I've recently eradicated a big algae issue in my planted 10g community tank and it has left my water rather green. Try as I might the water stays green. I've gone through about 3 water changes over the last two weeks. (around 40 percent each time) and, while a slightly notable change occurs, the green color is persistent. I can barely see through the water because it is so discolored and it is quite the eyesore. My parameters check out and my fish are doing excellent so I have no worries aside from the nasty colored water.

Any ideas on how to rapidly return the tank water back to a desirable color without having to go through every shade of green imaginable before getting there?

I have neons, cories and ADF's in the tank. Just to rule out anything that could potential harm any of them.

Oh oh, I was wondering if activated carbon would do the trick?

I've also heard of Diatom filters, but I imagine that would be quite expensive.

Also, after doing a little googling I've come to the conclusion that I haven't completely eradicated the algae issue and still have tons of free-floating algae. Thoughts?

brancasterr 01-18-2011 03:12 AM

I also read about blacking out my tank to kill off the algae but I'm not sure how that would affect my fish and ADF's.

brancasterr 01-18-2011 02:01 PM

Any advice, guys?

lorax84 01-18-2011 02:44 PM

What kind of lights do you have on the tank. Certain lights promote algae growth.

aunt kymmie 01-18-2011 02:46 PM

There are numerous threads dealing with black outs and how to perform them and of course I can't find them right now! I grabbed this from a website. If you aren't running Co2 just ignore that part. I wouldn't think a 3 day blackout is going to upset your ADFs, neons or cories:

Step #1: Clean the filter a few days prior to procede with this method.
Step #2: Remove all the algae you can.
Step #3: Large water change (50-70%) and refill the tank without adding ferts
Step #4: Turn your Co2 system and lights off for the next 3 days.
Step #5: Feed the fish.
Step #6: Cover all sides of the tank. Make sure there’s no light in the tank. It should be totally dark in there.
Step #7: Leave the tank in total darkness for the next 3 days. No feeding of fert dosing during the blackout.
After The Blackout

Step #8: Open the light and have a look at your tank. After 3 days in total darkness, the plants might look a bit pale, no worry. There might be some algae left in the tank, we’ll take care of them later.
Step #9: Do another water change
Step #10: Add fertilizers and Co2 and wait 2-3 days. The light should be on during that period.
Step #11: If there is any algae left in the tank, repeat steps 1 to 7 again. You can keep doing this indefinitely until the algae gives up (they will). Don’t forget to do a good water change after each blackout

brancasterr 01-18-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 563244)
There are numerous threads dealing with black outs and how to perform them and of course I can't find them right now! I grabbed this from a website. If you aren't running Co2 just ignore that part. I wouldn't think a 3 day blackout is going to upset your ADFs, neons or cories:

Step #1: Clean the filter a few days prior to procede with this method.
Step #2: Remove all the algae you can.
Step #3: Large water change (50-70%) and refill the tank without adding ferts
Step #4: Turn your Co2 system and lights off for the next 3 days.
Step #5: Feed the fish.
Step #6: Cover all sides of the tank. Make sure there’s no light in the tank. It should be totally dark in there.
Step #7: Leave the tank in total darkness for the next 3 days. No feeding of fert dosing during the blackout.
After The Blackout

Step #8: Open the light and have a look at your tank. After 3 days in total darkness, the plants might look a bit pale, no worry. There might be some algae left in the tank, we’ll take care of them later.
Step #9: Do another water change
Step #10: Add fertilizers and Co2 and wait 2-3 days. The light should be on during that period.
Step #11: If there is any algae left in the tank, repeat steps 1 to 7 again. You can keep doing this indefinitely until the algae gives up (they will). Don’t forget to do a good water change after each blackout

Alright, this method sounds good. I ripped out all of my plants during the initial algae clean up and currently only have a small bundle left.

The decaying algae won't hurt the fish will it? So long as I do a good water change?

As for cleaning the filter. I did take out the media, cleaned inside the filter, removed any visible algae on the sponge and then put it back in because I've heard it's a bad idea to replace the filter media all at once. Should I worry that there is algae left in my sponges?

As for the lighting. I'm pretty sure I have the proper lighting. I made sure of that from day one and I have only recently had algae issues.

brancasterr 01-18-2011 04:31 PM

I wonder if I should just cut off a piece of the existing filter media and put that in with new media or if that would eliminate to much good bacteria?

Calmwaters 01-18-2011 05:26 PM

I would just keep your current filter especially since you will need to do large water changes. Good luck I hope the blackout works for you.

brancasterr 01-18-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 563437)
I would just keep your current filter especially since you will need to do large water changes. Good luck I hope the blackout works for you.

Now that I think about it, the filters are in need of changing. I'm sure the insides are full of algae. This won't cause my blackout to fail will it?

Calmwaters 01-18-2011 05:42 PM

I would keep the filter until after the blackout because you do not want to risk a possible mini-cycle due to water changes and gravel vacuuming.