Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   African Dwarf Frog Eggs??? omg (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/african-dwarf-frog-eggs-omg-6018/)

DeiRae 05-21-2007 01:27 AM

African Dwarf Frog Eggs??? omg

OK I know they're not fish but I wasn't sure what section to put this in...

If it's in the wrong section I'm sorry.

I had a couple African Dwarf frogs that my neighbors gave me since they won't be able to take them home at the end of the year. And... they laid a TON of eggs!

I have a couple questions...

1) Does breeding kill them occasionally? Because they were both dead when I got home and there were eggs everywhere. I have a feeling they died because my room mate opened my blinds and the sun cooked them, and if that's so then is it probable all the little eggs are dead?

2) Is there anything special I need to do to the eggs? The frogs were in this little fish bowl with some soft sand at the bottom so that's where the eggs are... no extra heat/pump anything.

I don't really want them to die... lol.

Yeah, anyways, any suggestions are welcome and sorry if this is really a bad topic to be posting in this section I'm just not sure where to go or who to ask...

fish_4_all 05-21-2007 12:47 PM

Location is just fine, is the best place to get replies.

As for the frogs and mating it could have been the stress of mating that killed them. If they were older or a certain species it may just have been their natural course.

As for the eggs there is a couple things to watch for. The first and most obvious would be mold or white fungus on them which would indicate they are dead. The second would be for a milky white color in the egg itself which would indicate they are infertile. The third and hopefully what you get out at least a few of them would be to see a developing black spot in the eggs that actually wiggles a little bit in a few days. This would indicate they are alive and you could have some tadpoles in a couple weeks.

If they do survive remember that they need infusoria when they hatch and finally start eating. Tis includes green water, algae, and anything that would grow in the tank, plants and substrate. Really small crushed up fish flakes can sustain them but the natural foods will be better for them. When they get a little larger they can eat brine shrimp, vinegar eels, grindal worms, some more flakes and will still eat the natural foods like algae and such.

Best of luck with them and keep us up to date on any hopeful progress.

DeiRae 05-21-2007 12:52 PM

Most of them are infertile I'd say but there are a few with little black dots. Is that normal in just a couple days or am I imagining things? The dots aren't wiggling though either.

And should I do any kind of water change or just leave it how it is because I was going to do a partial when I got home and found the eggs so there is a little bit of crud on the bottom and I don't want them to die :(

fish_4_all 05-21-2007 01:11 PM

If you do a water change being the substrate is sand try to keep from disturbing the sand in any way. The fine grains of sand could clog the breathing holes that the eggs have for the tadpoles. Also make sure to dechlorinate the water and make sure it is as close as possible to the same temp as the tank because they will be more sesceptible to any and all parameter changes.

Remove the dead eggs or they can ruin the healthy ones.