Tropical Fish Keeping banner

DIY Air Stone Strip

9K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  bearwithfish 
#1 ·
Found out how to do this on YouTube. Mine is basically the same as that guy's but I used a small zip tied instead of a pebble to put at the end. This way, the end is straight and the bubbles come out straight, and it blocks the end. Just put the small zip-tie in the end of the tube and it fits in there perfectly. Then I just added hot glue on the end just to make sure it's secure. Then I used a small scissors to poke small holes in it like he did, be careful here! Haven't tested it out yet, but here is the finished product.

See less See more
#10 ·
i thought about making a long one, but i didnt want my fry to get distrurbed. i just made this small one to see how well it worked and to also push the baby brine shrimp out further. i hear if they have a stream of bubbles, they get pushed out further which means better access for my babies.

#12 ·
How do you balance the pressure? I would imagine that every single hole must be exactly the same or the air will all escape out of the largest hole in a fast stream? Additionally, for the tubing, does the rubber not tear after a while? Since the rubber is a lot like plastic-wrap where before its punctured its strong, but after its punctured, its easy to tear. I remember notching tubing with a knife before and bending the tube there allowed the tube to break evenly and tear.

#14 ·
awww to bad ... as with the ones i have seem and done once the holes are made about the same size it all comes together... and looks cool... LOL.... as for cut lines being week .. i would assume if you cut to far or made the holes super big but i have done it with a hot awl and had no issues....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.