Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   soft water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/soft-water-60142/)

fishingfor2001 01-17-2011 02:34 PM

soft water

I have a 30 gallon bowfront tank I have:

6 harlequin rasbora
6 zebra danios
1 dwarf gurami
1 platy
3 neon tetras
3 cory catfish

My building has just switched over to soft water. I was just wondering if this will harm my fish. I guess they started dong this 4 days ago.

thanks

SinCrisis 01-17-2011 03:05 PM

check your PH, soft water often brings about different PH levels. Also if they are using softener salt, as most softening systems do, be sure they are using the pure salt. The rust-cleaning stuff and other additives will harm your fish.

fishingfor2001 01-17-2011 06:14 PM

Thank You. I will ask them tomorrow what there using. There has been no change in ph.

Byron 01-18-2011 03:23 PM

Except for the platy, the fish you list are all soft water so that should cause no issue in itself [except for the platy that may have considerable trouble depending what the hardness is]. However, as someone mentioned, it is the "stuff" added to soften the water that can cause troubles, so we'll await that info.

Byron.

fishingfor2001 01-19-2011 08:55 PM

I checked my tap water today and noticed my ph level went from 6.6 to about 7.6 i assume as a result of the new soft water treatment. My fish tank ph is about 6.4. I would like to know if I should be doing something during water changes to acclimate my fish to the new readings. I am still waiting for an answer from my property manager about the soft water system. all other readings have been consistant for over 6 months and fish are all happy and healthy. I would like to keep it that way.

thanks

Byron 01-20-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfor2001 (Post 564518)
I checked my tap water today and noticed my ph level went from 6.6 to about 7.6 i assume as a result of the new soft water treatment. My fish tank ph is about 6.4. I would like to know if I should be doing something during water changes to acclimate my fish to the new readings. I am still waiting for an answer from my property manager about the soft water system. all other readings have been consistant for over 6 months and fish are all happy and healthy. I would like to keep it that way.

thanks

Until all factors are known, I would use caution and not start fiddling with water params. If things change naturally without intervention, it will be much easier on the fish.

During water changes, change less water rather than more. Max 20% using a good water conditioner should not cause issues. Once the facts are known, it may be possible to go normally (larger volume), or if not, less water more often. The aim is to change water but keep params relatively stable and consistent. The tank's natural biological equilibrium once established tends to do this quite well even with variable parameters in tap water. My tanks run around 6.2, my tap water is 7.2, I change 50% weekly at once, the pH in the tank goes up by .2 or maybe .4 at most; this is not an issue at all. But the biological system is well established to keep this stability.

Which conditioner are you using?

Byron.

fishingfor2001 01-20-2011 01:33 PM

Thanks Byron, I was told there was no chemicals other than salt being added. Don't remember what kind. He said by the time it gets to my tap it should be a miniscule amount if that. I use api stress coat once a week during water change. I usually do 2 thirty percent water changes a week.

Byron 01-20-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfor2001 (Post 564906)
Thanks Byron, I was told there was no chemicals other than salt being added. Don't remember what kind. He said by the time it gets to my tap it should be a miniscule amount if that. I use api stress coat once a week during water change. I usually do 2 thirty percent water changes a week.

I would stick with this. Monitor the pH, check it prior to a water change, and then a couple hours after, just to see what's happening. I would also suggest taking a sample of plain tap water to a reliable fish store and ask for a hardness test. Get the numbers for GH and KH if they can. Might tell us something.

I am not knowledgeable on water softeners, so I can't explain the rise in pH; presumably it is the salts they are using. Perhaps others will know. Any chance you can find out more about the specific "salt"?

Byron.

fishingfor2001 01-20-2011 02:04 PM

I will keep an eye on the ph. And cut back on the water changes if I see a large change in the ph.

thanks