Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   An Attempt At Mollies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/attempt-mollies-60129/)

PandaRye 01-17-2011 12:22 PM

An Attempt At Mollies

So I have now dived into this hobby head first, and now am thinking about breeding. My wife loves the idea and chose livebearers, and thus Mollies. Now I want to make sure I am doing this 100% right for I care for anything living and do not want to harm anything.

Here it goes
First I have a 36g bowfront that I picked up for the community tank. In that tank I have
1 male black molly(had two but one was too aggressive and disturbing the tank harmony EDIT: I plan on getting another male soon),
2 female dalmation mollies,
2 female creamsicle lyretail mollies,
2 female silver mollies
3 panda corydoras
2Ghost shrimp
1 Angelfish
1 Pleco

Currently the tank is at 104% stocking, so I do a 30%WC every week and it is heated to 76 degrees and filterd by a marineland penguin 200 (50g)

One of my dalmations looks pregger (squared out belly and looking like a balloon. cant really see a gravid spot)
So I took her to my breeding tank (which has a substrate of smooth marbled rocks which is covered by alot of plants) to give birth.
My question is, does that sound ok? The breeding tank is a 10g tank that is heated to 76 degrees aswell, and is filtered by an aquatech 5-15 (15g)
I will post up pictures tonight to show a better explanation. I just would like to know if I am doing this right to where I will not be stressing out the fish as well as be successful.

eileen 01-17-2011 02:48 PM

That sounds fine. Sometimes the females get stressed out by the males chasing them. 10 gal. is perfect for her to give birth. After she give bith to all the fry you can then put her in the main tank again and raise the fry in the 10 gal. tank. If it has plants at all levels the baby fry will be ok. You only need 1 male in that tank as sometimes the dominate male will pick on the other one. Most Mollies at the petstore in a male/female tank are already pregnate. They can store sperm up to 6 months so really their is no need for a male mollie. More females to males are the best so anyone female does not get stressed out from the male wanting to mate.

I like your idea of a Community tank like you have. I have the same kind of setup as I can not keep all the fry being born every month. The strong will survive and the weak and tiny or deformed ones should be culled. You only want to keep the the best ones that you like and rehome the other ones. I had a 55 gal. that had 1 angelfish, Rasboras, guppies, mollies, bushy nosed pleco to control the algae. I down sized to a 29 gal. bowfront because we will be moving into a smaller home. The fry take about 3 months to mature so the community fish take care of the excess fry and it works out good so that you will not need to set up more tanks to raise babies in. Feed the baby fry crushed up flake food to a fine powder. I feed my babies twice a day as any more the water Qty. will go bad and you have to do alot more water changes. I have 1 Balloon Belly Molly that was in a mixed tank. It's only a matter of time before she gives birth in my community tank.

PandaRye 01-17-2011 03:57 PM

Thanks! I like it too! I think I must have changed where I was going with the community tank like three times! Which as you know can be a pain. Really when I first went with sand! NEVER AGAIN! haha

I do, however, have one question. About how long does a Molly's labor take? I have been going back and forth on the idea of a breeding trap, but I fear it may stress her out. So I have been worried that with work and my 5month old daughter I may miss it entirely and have the fry end up fish food.

So I guess what I am asking, will I have enough time from start to finish to get her before she decides to have a snack, or should I just get a breeding trap?

Christople 01-17-2011 04:56 PM

i thought you were going to put her in the 10 gallon... It takes around 28days for the female to give birth

PandaRye 01-17-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 562520)
i thought you were going to put her in the 10 gallon... It takes around 28days for the female to give birth

No no, I am putting her in the 10g. However, I think she would still be able to get to them. Like I said, I will post pics of everything later tonight

eileen 01-17-2011 09:04 PM

I hate breeder traps. The 10 gal. will be fine and just get fake or real plants some floating at the surface as most babies will go to the surface. Java moss is good or guppy grass. Put a lot of plastic or real plants in the back of the tank. It may take 28-30 days before she gives birth. I just check the tank every morning and evening a few times a day to see if any babies are at the surface. You should be fine having her in there and after she has the babies put her in the main tank and raise the babies in that 10 gal. set up. It worked for me and that way you know that they will not get eaten.

Get one of those magnifying glasses at Staples. I use mine all the time to look at the fish babies. It's a good thing to have to spot if they are boys or girls at 2 months old and good at spotting health problems also.

PandaRye 01-17-2011 11:47 PM

HA! Well so my worries, questions, and concerns are all gone now. Apparently before I could get photos of eveything up....she decided to....ummm, well....drop! hehe Everything is a success. Still unsure of the count but I think its around 20!

Here are some pics, first one of mama pre labor and then a few of the fry I could get on camera.
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSCF6720.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSCF6822.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSCF6823.jpg