Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Help with a 2215 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/help-2215-a-60021/)

jcinnb 01-16-2011 10:31 AM

Help with a 2215

Almost too embarrassed to ask, but...

I have a 2215. It has the mechanical donut things in bottom, and the bacterial "balls" in the second layer. I just took my charcoal pad out based on 2 weeks of use.

I want to either get some floss or some peat to put in filter, maybe both. How does that work?

The peat is in granules. Do I buy a little mesh bag, fill the bag, and put in filter where charcoal used to be?

Or can I put the granules in the filter directly, and put a floss pad on top to hold them down?

Thanks for responses. I seem to be able to find every question about filters on the internet, but the one I am looking for!!!

jcinnb

cbirk 01-16-2011 10:53 AM

Not a direct answer to your question, but I heard that peat can change the ph of you water significantly. Would be nice to know if that is true or not.

Grimmjow 01-16-2011 10:59 AM

It does, I think "significantly" depends on just how much you add.

Im pretty sure youre gonna want to put it in a bag. I was planning on using it in mine and I was gonna put it under the top pad over the cocoa puffs.

jcinnb 01-16-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimmjow (Post 561191)
It does, I think "significantly" depends on just how much you add.

Im pretty sure youre gonna want to put it in a bag. I was planning on using it in mine and I was gonna put it under the top pad over the cocoa puffs.

That is where I am heading. I just saw, for sale, a "media bag" which I supposed is designed for such a purpose.

I do want to try to lower my pH a bit, and I hope it works, though from a lot of reading it is a) a bit tricky and b) transitory.

jcinnb

cbirk 01-16-2011 11:10 AM

yeah I think it can cause a lot of problems if things get out of hand. Most people suggest keeping a tank at the same ph as the water you add to it (assume from tap) Good luck with it, I hope it all works out well!

Grimmjow 01-16-2011 11:17 AM

I forgot about that part, I read somewhere that itll take like a week to affect the ph so when doing water changes get the water ready a week in advance with some peat soaking in it to match the ph.

I'd think if your tank is big enough and/or you dont do big water changes im sure a slight difference wont be that bad, but thats just my opinion.

cbirk 01-16-2011 11:33 AM

It really depends on the fish you have and their ph range. a gradual change in ph is fine until it is too high or too low for the fish to exist in stress free.

Grimmjow 01-17-2011 07:24 AM

Just curious, whats your tank size and current ph/target ph?

jcinnb 01-17-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimmjow (Post 561989)
Just curious, whats your tank size and current ph/target ph?

I have a 55 gal and the pH is normally between 7.4 and 7.6. I want to optimize it for German Rams. I have some time to make adjustments slowly.

I expect pH is constant but I have a heck of time reading the colors in the API kit.

Grimmjow 01-17-2011 08:07 AM

Nice, Ive got a 75g and my ph is right around there and is is pretty hard to tell the colors apart lol.