Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants for a new tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-new-tank-60017/)

Fish4Andy 01-16-2011 10:03 AM

Plants for a new tank.

I will be re-starting a 35L tropical tank very soon and need some advice on plants.

I purchased some plants earlier on in the week from a local fish shop but later found out from the internet that they were not real aquatic plants and I was told to remove them. These are now in the bin so what a waste of money that was :(

Can you recommend some nice easy to keep beginner plants for me?

Also, should I be adding my plants before or after the cycle and/or the fish?

These are a few websites I am looking to order from:
Aquarium Plants - Aquarium Plants - Aquarium Plants | Pond Plants | Plants Alive
Plants | The Green Machine
http://www.onlineaquariumstore.com/a...um_Plants.html

Thanks again

TED45 01-16-2011 10:20 AM

Hi Andy, Spiralis are nice, low maintenence they grow like crazy. Also Anubias Nana Narrowleaf are good

TED45 01-16-2011 10:22 AM

Not sure if you add them before or after cycling. I'm sure someone else will help you with that question. Good luck. Ted

Tomsk 01-16-2011 10:46 AM

Plants can be added before the tank is cycled,they will help remove the ammonia.What wattage light do you have it your tank?

Tomsk

redchigh 01-16-2011 03:24 PM

Assuming you have flourescent (or compact flourescent) in cool white 6500k lighting, and approximately 1 watt pet gallon (a little less is ok), then I'd go with:

Background/Midground
Proserpinaca Palustris
Cabomba 'green'
Hygrophila Difformis
Echinodorus Blehiri var Compact (Important that it's the compact variant!)
Ludwigea Repens
Crypt Wendtii
Echinodorus var Vesuvius

Foreground:
Dwarf Sag (Or Hairgrass/Eleocharis if you're using sand)

Floating:
Pennywort

Accent pieces (tied to driftwood or rocks)
Narrowleaf Java Fern
Anubias Nana (Or nana var petit)
Java Moss

Hows that?
BTW, I prefer Sweetaquatics.com to buy my plants. They have all of these in stock.

Fish4Andy 01-16-2011 07:23 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

I have a 15W flourescent light, its a SunGlo tube I think.

I can't order anything from SweetAquatics.com because, "Currently we are only accepting orders from the United States and US Provinces." I will look into the plants you have suggested. I assume they are all "real" aquatic plants?

Byron 01-18-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

I have a 15W flourescent light, its a SunGlo tube I think.
Over a 35 L (=10 gallon) tank this will work. A slightly cooler daylight would be better, but as I say what you have will work; I know that tube. When it comes time to change (they need replacing every 1-2 years) you might want to consider a daylight with a kelvin around 6500K as redchigh mentioned. The Life-Glo in the same series as the Sun-Glo is what this is; or you can buy much less expensive tubes from a hardware store. Just look for the kelvin around 6500K.

And welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

Fish4Andy 01-20-2011 02:31 PM

My tank is very new and is only just beginning its cycle, so far the ammonia levels have remained at 0, presumably with the help of my 5 plants.

Is it possible to add too many plants into a tank?

How do you attach a plant root to a piece of wood or rock?

Do I remove the plants when cleaning the tank, if so, is there any way I should do this?

Thanks again

Byron 01-20-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish4Andy (Post 564944)
My tank is very new and is only just beginning its cycle, so far the ammonia levels have remained at 0, presumably with the help of my 5 plants.

Is it possible to add too many plants into a tank?

How do you attach a plant root to a piece of wood or rock?

Do I remove the plants when cleaning the tank, if so, is there any way I should do this?

Thanks again

I suppose one could have too many plants...but generally speaking, no.

Plants like Anubias and Java Fern have a rhizome that should not be buried or it may rot, so those plants you can attach to wood or rock by using cotton thread (black is less visible) or fishing line, which will in time disintegrate and the plant roots will be holding firmly well before that point. I like to wedge the rhizome (carefully so as not to break it) into a crevice if there is one, or between two pieces of rock or wood. Again, the plant's roots will take hold in a few weeks.

Normal "cleaning" would be a weekly water change and vacuum of the gravel (except where plants are rooted in the gravel). Plants remain where they are.

Blaxicanlatino 01-20-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 564995)
I suppose one could have too many plants...but generally speaking, no.

Plants like Anubias and Java Fern have a rhizome that should not be buried or it may rot, so those plants you can attach to wood or rock by using cotton thread (black is less visible) or fishing line, which will in time disintegrate and the plant roots will be holding firmly well before that point. I like to wedge the rhizome (carefully so as not to break it) into a crevice if there is one, or between two pieces of rock or wood. Again, the plant's roots will take hold in a few weeks.

Normal "cleaning" would be a weekly water change and vacuum of the gravel (except where plants are rooted in the gravel). Plants remain where they are.

exactly as Byron says

be sure your not taking ALL the water out! only remove 30% of water a week and replace.