- Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
- - isolation / quarantine questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/isolation-quarantine-questions-5991/)
isolation / quarantine questions
I would like to start a quarantine tank- I need some advice in what I need to put in it. I have a 10 gallon, already cycled tank that i guess i could use, but i had plans of keeping fish in it regularly, so i would prefer to start it from scratch.
1) how small can i go in a quarantine tank?
2) does it need to be running constantly, or can i just keep all the spare parts and assemble as needed?
3) once i have used the tank to treat or medicate one illness, will the carbon in my filter remove the medication after use?
4) what are the bare minimum things i need to include in the tank?
I would say get a 10 gallon, an AquaClear HOB filter and a heater. Should be all you need. Just remember that if you want to keep it cycled it either has to have fish in it or you need to add food to it daily to keep the bacteria fed. Carbon will remove a majority of any medication as will water changes which should be done regularly anyway to remove nitrates and keep the tank as pristine as possible for the fish being treated.
One note on the tank size, a 10 gallon will accommodate about half the normal bioload as a quarantine tank. This allows for less stress and room for the fish to feel comfortable. If the fish are bigger then you will need a bigger tank so the tank size will depend on the fish you have and what needs to be quarantined.
Just a note on quarantine tanks...
You can use a plastic storage bin into a quarantine tank. You use plastic in your tank all the time, just make sure it is clean and cycled. That way you could get a 30G + tank for like $10.
You do have some issues looking at the fish to see how they are doing as you will only have a clear view from the top. But the fish don't care!
Just an idea...
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.