Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   salt to fresh setup?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/salt-fresh-setup-59864/)

Seanmiller09 01-14-2011 11:59 AM

salt to fresh setup??

I have been looking for a larger tank at a good price on and off for the past few months, I found a complete saltwater 55g setup (tank, wet/dry, light, yadda yadda) for pretty cheap. Can this be used in a freshwater setup if its propperly cleaned?

small fry 01-15-2011 06:30 AM

People have 55g tanks fully setup for FW here for about $100 on craigslist. It might be more expensive to buy all the sw stuff, get rid of it (maybe $ell it?), and replace it w/ fw equip than to buy used, or maybe even to buy new.

Depending on the cost, I would probably just let the sw people take advantage of the deal, and find a fw deal. Or maybe you would be interested in sw?:lol:

But unless in was practically free, you would still buy the sw setup for however much, then fw filter, then fw lighting (optional, I guess), etc. The filter itself would probably cost you $40 new, if you just wanted a basic power filter.

Seanmiller09 01-18-2011 05:28 PM

So it seems everyone and their brother is selling a saltwater setup on craigslist in my area. I found one setup with straphire glass (never heard of it so i don't know what the hype is about). Im trying to decide if I should get it, he is asking 150 for the setup.

Not having the time or money for a reef tank, I want to know if this setup can be used for freshwater or if the filter is different etc, etc.

Also, is starphire glass really that much clearer?

here is the post:
Up for grabs is a 58 gallon OCEANIC with STARPHIRE glass, it comes with a glass top, a light, a trickle filter for up to 75 gallons (one of the best on the markets for fish tanks) the return pump and a built in overflow and also a stand If you want I can throw in some guppies or some salt for a saltwater tank. I'm asking 200 and I need this gone TONIGHT. The glass is woth that. Price dropped to 150. Please come get this tonight

Any input is appreciated.

Oh yeah, the filter is a aquarium life support p1000

MAC29 02-10-2011 07:40 PM

I don't know anything about the glass bu I do know that if it is a saltwayer tank right now and you break it down and make it into a freshwater tank the good bacteria that you need to cycle yor tank is the same as the bacteria in a estabished satwater tan so if you can keep some of the water or filter media t5his will help cycle your tank 10 times faster I have gone back and forth a couple of times and the first time I was going to do it I talked to one of my buddies that is a biologist that worked at tennesees aquarium so I think is safe to say it can be done

Mat

Seanmiller09 02-10-2011 09:09 PM

Yeah it worked great, I was worried the bacterias might be different or something, but the fish seem to say oversize. I completed the cycle in about 10 days (I threw an extra Bio filter in one of my HOBs for a few weeks while I was looking for a tank, so I added that as well)
Posted via Mobile Device