Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   How many cichlids can i have? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/how-many-cichlids-can-i-have-59848/)

FlimFlam 01-14-2011 06:27 AM

How many cichlids can i have?
 
In my big tank?

FlimFlam 01-14-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlimFlam (Post 559483)
In my big tank?

least helpful forum ever

stevenjohn21 01-14-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlimFlam (Post 559491)
least helpful forum ever


Start by telling us what size your "Big Tank" is and what species of Cichlids, im sure people will chip in with answers.

FlimFlam 01-14-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 559496)
Start by telling us what size your "Big Tank" is and what species of Cichlids, im sure people will chip in with answers.

I don't know how many gallons but its 1.8m by 1.5m x .9m

I like wolf cichlids and veijas and angel fish and cockatoo dwarfs. Can these all go in my big tank if i have rocks and hiding wholes for the little ones and the middle ones?

stevenjohn21 01-14-2011 09:03 AM

That seems a weird size tank its 5 feet long by almost 5 feet high !
What are the measurements in inches ?

Also once we determine what size your tank is then you can go on this link and it advises you what species and how many is recommended for your tank. Hope it helps :-)

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

FlimFlam 01-14-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 559517)
That seems a weird size tank its 5 feet long by almost 5 feet high !
What are the measurements in inches ?

Also once we determine what size your tank is then you can go on this link and it advises you what species and how many is recommended for your tank. Hope it helps :-)

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

.9m is 3 foot high its a big tank

what about the critters i like for the tank?

FlimFlam 01-14-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlimFlam (Post 559526)
.9m is 3 foot high its a big tank

what about the critters i like for the tank?

sorry i don't have an inches tape. But 30cm is 1 foot, so its 6ft long by 5ft thick by 3 ft high

stevenjohn21 01-14-2011 09:30 AM

Wow thats a huge tank ! I wouldnt put the Cichlids in with angel fish as you might wake up one day to 0 angel fish.
I would click on that link i sent and it will advise you on which fish will be compatible. Good luck and would love to see pictures of that tank.

bearwithfish 01-14-2011 09:57 AM

one also has to remember this is a forum and that it takes time for members to come on line to respond i myself am off for a few days every week.. that said i agree with some more research into the types of fish you want.. i would not put south american cichlids in with african cichlids not just due to temperament but the fact that they require vastly different water parameters....i would start off by testing your water for PH, dKH, GH, and trace elements such as ammonia and nitrate..... once you have established what you water is like you can more easily find fish to suit your water or if its possible to fix your water to fit your wants....
i hope this helps

jeaninel 01-14-2011 11:39 AM

I assume when you say wolf cichlid you are referring to Parachromis Dovii? Very large, very aggressive and highly predatory Central American cichlid so I would not mix Angelfish and dwarf cichlids with it. In fact, a lot of people who keep Doviis keep them alone because they are so aggressive. You could try other large, aggressive cichlids as tankmates such as Jaguars, Red Devils, Haitensis, Umbis and this may work for awhile. But once the Dovii reaches maturity it will probably be the only one left in the tank.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2