Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Strange Honey Gourami Behavior? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/strange-honey-gourami-behavior-59840/)

doppsterjr 01-13-2011 11:42 PM

Strange Honey Gourami Behavior?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all...
I have a 20g long tank, which has 5 cherry barbs, 1 guppy, 1 danio, 2 honey gouramis, 1 platy, and 2 otos stocked in it. I recently add a new house (which is on the right in the picture). It's hooked to a small air pump. Since I have put the house in my smaller honey gourami has practically lived in there. I rarely see it during the day. At first I thought it had died in there for some reason, but when I went to check it came out and swam around. I don't see it at feedings, but I see her after the light has gone off every once and awhile. While it's in there the other gourami just rests on the tank floor next to the house. That one eats normally and goes to the surface regularly, but other than that it sits there almost all day. (You can kind of see a little orange spec to the right of the house on the gravel.)
When I see the fish they don't have fins tucked and they move normally.

If y'all need more specs about the tank let me know.

((Sorry that the picture is blurry))

aunt kymmie 01-15-2011 11:30 AM

I don't know much about gouramis, but I think I recall that they like lower light and plant cover. Perhaps the light is bright and there's not enough cover up at the top of the tank that they are chilling down in the tank where the light levels are lower? Just a guess, someone else will come along who know the answer to the behavior your fish are exhibiting.

Byron 01-15-2011 12:44 PM

I agree with auntkymmie. Floating plants would probably settle them. Ceratopteris cornuta is ideal; Brazilian Pennywort, a stem plant, grows very nicely floating. Duckweed even, but many prefer not introducing that plant:-). Your swords are looking lovely, the floating plants won't affect them.

Click on the shaded plant name to see our profile on the plant with photos.

Byron.

RCinAL 01-15-2011 01:01 PM

Sounds to me like that particular fish just enjoys it's privacy.

doppsterjr 01-18-2011 10:53 PM

Wow.. Thanks Byron. That coming from you is a real compliment. I wish I was more of an aquascaper. I just never have any idea what to get and where to put them. Obviously I wish that I had a bigger tank to do more with, but doesn't everyone? ;-)

zpeck30 02-06-2011 01:06 AM

i have the same house in my 45 gal. il upload anew picture of it when the water clearws up its a bit cloud cuz i just put a new tunnel under it with a piece of pvc pipe.. i have two dwarf honey gouramis one likes to hide under it