Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   So Confused (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/so-confused-59819/)

dking 01-13-2011 08:23 PM

So Confused

I don't even have my tank yet and I am so confused on what fish to get. Yesterday I was thinking of one thing and today, I think I really want to get atleast 5 bala sharks and maybe 5 silver dollars. I am not exactly crazy about the silver dollar's looks, but after reading the fish profiles, I am thinking they would be good tankmates. I love the bala sharks, I used to have them before but I only had 2, not the recommended 5. One died, and I gave the other one away when I got rid of my tank. Does anyone think these 2 kinds of fish can live happy in the same tank? The tank is a 100 gallon. I realize I have time to make choices because I have to cycle the tank, but I am soooooo excited that I feel like I need answers LOL. Thanks ahead of time :-)

bigehugedome 01-13-2011 10:04 PM

I cannot comment on the two fish working well together but why get Silver Dollars if you dont like them? Im sure there is something else that would work. Someone will help. Good luck with the tank and welcome to TFK.

mom2thebest2 01-13-2011 10:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing as bigehugedome in that if you dont' like them, WHY get them?! Certainly there are others that would be compatible and you'd enjoy. Head to the lfs and check out what catches your eye. If you're like me, you will change ur mind 10 times before you are ready to put any fish in! Which gives you lots of time to decide what can go in there together. THAT YOU LIKE :) Good luck and I'd love to see pics when it's up and going!

RCinAL 01-15-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dking (Post 559174)
I don't even have my tank yet and I am so confused on what fish to get. Yesterday I was thinking of one thing and today, I think I really want to get atleast 5 bala sharks and maybe 5 silver dollars. I am not exactly crazy about the silver dollar's looks, but after reading the fish profiles, I am thinking they would be good tankmates. I love the bala sharks, I used to have them before but I only had 2, not the recommended 5. One died, and I gave the other one away when I got rid of my tank. Does anyone think these 2 kinds of fish can live happy in the same tank? The tank is a 100 gallon. I realize I have time to make choices because I have to cycle the tank, but I am soooooo excited that I feel like I need answers LOL. Thanks ahead of time :-)

Not familiar at all with Silver Dollar fish because they just don't appeal to me personally and, for some reason, I have a strange habit of purchasing only those fish that do appeal to me. ;-)

Byron 01-16-2011 02:01 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

As noted in the profile of the Bala Shark, it needs a group of at least five due to its social structure, and this means an 8-foot tank preferably. The length is more important than the volume, given this fish's swimming level and the fact that it will attain 14 inches (some suggest 16 inches).

Tankmates will not be easy to find, as they must be large enough not to be eaten. A species-only tank, aquascaped according to the Bala's natural habitat, would be a beautiful display. A couple of the larger catfish would work with the Bala.

I would certainly not add fish you don't like, as this is adding to the tank's bioload un-necessarily and this will only mean poorer water quality.

julem35 01-16-2011 02:29 PM

I would recommend getting a tetra tank, I have a 30gallon one and all the different types and colors are fun!!:-)

dking 01-16-2011 07:25 PM

Thanks Byron, Now I have a different problem... I now have my tank but I have never seen a filter set up like this one. From what I can tell, the main part goes in the bottom in the stand. It has round sponges. I haven't even seem most of the parts yet. I used to have a 75 gallon, but it was nothing like this one. The name of it is clarity plus, if you can help, or anyone else reading this, can help, I would surely appreciate it. It is a beautiful setup, I just don't know anything about it. Sorry to be so ignorant about it, but if I don't ask, I won't know right?