Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   When to add salt to FW? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/when-add-salt-fw-59795/)

mom2thebest2 01-13-2011 03:47 PM

When to add salt to FW?

Put fish in yesterday and with research (yes I did research!!) found some would benefit from salt being in the tank. I bought aquarium salt but the label said to only add when you do water changes.
Is this true and if there's a few different fish that can use it, but not all, is that a problem?
How long after I add it do I want to do a water change and how much?
Is this something I want to add EVERY water change?
It's a 55 tall, anyone recommend how much to add?

Right now there's a baby pleco in there, 5 glofish, 3 silver mollies, and 4 Long Fin Red tetra.
Thank You much :)

Romad 01-13-2011 04:14 PM

I would not add AQ salt to the tank as a general rule. You have some fish that are probably sensitive to it. AQ salt comes in handy when you have to isolate a sick fish. It boosts their eloctolytes and helps the healing process. Some species do well with the salt but you've got a mixed bag of fish there...

Did you add all of those fish at one time? This is your new setup right?? If yes, you have to test the water constantly. Even though your tank was cycled, adding fish all at once is going to create a big bioload for your established bacteria to try keep up with. I had to learn this the hard way. I added 6 fish to my 75 gallon which has been perfectly cycled for quite a while. Even though I was still only about 70% stocked after adding the new fish, within 3 days I had ammonia present and lost one of my favorite fish.

One more thing... about the pleco. Is it a common pleco or a diff. type? Common plecs. get really really big and are notorious poopers. They will keep you on a constant water change schedule when they get to be good sized.

Calmwaters 01-13-2011 04:20 PM

The only time I use salt is to treat for an illness or injury I would not use it any other time.

mom2thebest2 01-13-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 558927)
I would not add AQ salt to the tank as a general rule. You have some fish that are probably sensitive to it. AQ salt comes in handy when you have to isolate a sick fish. It boosts their eloctolytes and helps the healing process. Some species do well with the salt but you've got a mixed bag of fish there...

Did you add all of those fish at one time? This is your new setup right?? If yes, you have to test the water constantly. Even though your tank was cycled, adding fish all at once is going to create a big bioload for your established bacteria to try keep up with. I had to learn this the hard way. I added 6 fish to my 75 gallon which has been perfectly cycled for quite a while. Even though I was still only about 70% stocked after adding the new fish, within 3 days I had ammonia present and lost one of my favorite fish.

One more thing... about the pleco. Is it a common pleco or a diff. type? Common plecs. get really really big and are notorious poopers. They will keep you on a constant water change schedule when they get to be good sized.

I added them all yesterday. I know you shouldn't usually, believe it or not though we never have a problem doing it this way. Heck, this is the first time I've ever even cycled a tank! We rarely lose fish, BUT with that said, don't think I'm blowing off your advice. I will continue checking it twice a day to be sure the water is ok. And if need be, I do have the 1.5 gallon to get a few out in an emergency. The pleco is a regular pleco. He's itsy tiny like inch and a half. For NOW lol. We had a hifin spotted pleco in the past in this same tank, and he got to be about 9" before we rehomed him so he'd be more comfy. I remember his poo strings all around, that was fun to clean up. NOT ;) And even when we had him in there, along with a second pleco we rescued, a blue gourami, and probably 8-10 other fish, I only did water changes every 6 months or so. The water was always super clear and we didn't lose any. I said in another post that since joining this group, I'm learning just how lucky we were and hence, I'm trying to become a better mommy.

mom2thebest2 01-13-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 558932)
The only time I use salt is to treat for an illness or injury I would not use it any other time.

So WHY in the world would a few sites say some fish like, even SHOULD have it? And what injuries/illness will I want to treat with it? I guess that's another thread in itself? Jeesh the more I learn the more shocked I am at how succesful we have always been with our tank! You watch, now that I am aware, all will go to **** :( Hopefully not though, hopefully all this knowledge and resources of you amazing ppl will make this round even better than ever!

Calmwaters 01-13-2011 05:25 PM

The main thing is not to stress out about it, aquariums are for relaxation after all. LOL You would use the salt to treat ick in any fish as long as it has scales, also you can use it if you have bettas and they have fin rot or damaged fins.

Byron 01-13-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2thebest2 (Post 558950)
So WHY in the world would a few sites say some fish like, even SHOULD have it? And what injuries/illness will I want to treat with it? I guess that's another thread in itself? Jeesh the more I learn the more shocked I am at how succesful we have always been with our tank! You watch, now that I am aware, all will go to **** :( Hopefully not though, hopefully all this knowledge and resources of you amazing ppl will make this round even better than ever!

There is varying opinion among hobbyists about salt. Most agree on using it for treatment of specific issues, but even this has to consider the species of fish that are in the tank as some are highly sensitive to it.

I just posted at length on salt in another thread, I respectfully suggest you read it, as it will explain the very serious detrimental effect salt has on some of the fish you have mentioned. Here's the link [my comments are in post #6]:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-salt-59781/

Byron.

mom2thebest2 01-13-2011 06:50 PM

Ok no salt it is! Thank You!