Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting Issue cant seem to locate what I need (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/lighting-issue-cant-seem-locate-what-59739/)

Curt 01-12-2011 09:34 PM

Lighting Issue cant seem to locate what I need

I have a 20g tank 24" long the hood that came with my tank had a t8 fl bulb 18".

I purchased some glofish and decided to get a T8 Actinic Bulb. This is neat to watch the glofish with but not something I want to run in lieu of the regular bulb.

I have spent countless hours browsing the net for a dual bulb setup. That way I could have both bulbs in at the same time and control what one I want to run and when. For example running the Actinic at night. Without manually having to change out the bulbs.

I have found countless dual bulb setups for t5 size. However there seems to be no one that will sell a light fixture for dual bulb and 18 inch t8's

I think I have searched the whole internet looking for this. I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue or knows where I can find the right fixture?

Thanks,

Curt

jrmy000 01-13-2011 03:08 AM

I suggest buying a dual t5 fixture, They are brighter and more effective than t8's .

Curt 01-13-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmy000 (Post 558569)
I suggest buying a dual t5 fixture, They are brighter and more effective than t8's .

I was trying to avoid buying new bulbs again :-? as far as a t5 I wonder if it would fit properly over my current hood just because they are bigger. Since the Actinic bulb is sooooo expensive.

Byron 01-13-2011 06:13 PM

Most dual-tube fixtures require that both tubes be in and on; removing one will cause the other to not light. And they are not individually switched. At least I have never seen one that was, though it may be out there somewhere.

A caution on increasing light: algae will take advantage. Plants are not mentioned, so will only say that without plants, any light will feed algae, and the more light the faster. A T5 light is more intense, so this is further adding to the problem should you decide to go that way.

Third comment on night light; you may mean evenings, but just in case (since I can't read your thoughts from your words posted;-)) fish must have total darkness for around 10 hours. Otherwise they will be stressed, and that weakens their immune system (just like in us).

Byron.

jrmy000 01-13-2011 06:36 PM

My light fixture has a switch for each bulb lol ;-)

Curt 01-13-2011 07:34 PM

As of right now I am swapping out by hand the bulb i want to use but I have seen the 2 switch models but only for t5 bulbs and they are usually longer so would not fit on my 20g