Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Wild Fish! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/wild-fish-597/)

dprUsh83 09-23-2006 11:32 PM

Wild Fish!

Hey all,

I was just wondering what one would need to do in order to domesticate a wild fish. I was thinking about (in the future) buying an appropriate sized tank and catching a river fish....I know there are a LOT of factors involved here, just wanting to gather some info!

crazie.eddie 09-24-2006 12:13 AM

Check with the local laws, since some states don't allow owning game fish.

dprUsh83 09-24-2006 12:17 AM

Hypothetically, I'm not too worried about that :lol:

joeshmoe 09-24-2006 11:10 AM

yes i no in nj u can take some fish home. i allways wanted some small sunnys lol

dprUsh83 09-24-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshmoe
yes i no in nj u can take some fish home. i allways wanted some small sunnys lol

So what preperations need to be made before putting it in a tank :?:

joeshmoe 09-24-2006 01:08 PM

well that i dont no you should test there water or something. see if theres salt in the water and try to make it just like there place same plants and sand . every thing you could do do it. mite be able to take plants from the lake or pond were you get the fish. :wink:

Nick 09-24-2006 02:31 PM

Now thats just TORTURE in my book!!!! You take a wild fish out of there natural habitat, which is usually a huge lake with unlimited swimming room and putting them in, to them, a little tank!!!!!!!! Poor fishy's... :shock:

dprUsh83 09-24-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flattrack23
Now thats just TORTURE in my book!!!! You take a wild fish out of there natural habitat, which is usually a huge lake with unlimited swimming room and putting them in, to them, a little tank!!!!!!!! Poor fishy's... :shock:

Or I can catch them, skin them, and eat them...which is what people do when they catch fish. I'm not talking about sticking a 10 pound catfish in a 12 gallon tank. :roll:

bolty 09-24-2006 03:41 PM

having wild fish is a big thing 4 some, they are more money, more people want them, or some just fancy trying "natives". if a wild fish is there next to a non wild fish in a LFS it would be the wild that sold more, malawi keepers have a big thing 4 getting nice fish F0/wild, a fish in a tank is a fish in a tank whether wild, tank bred or fryed.

others will and have got other views but these are mine :wink:

bolty 09-24-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolty
if a wild fish is there next to a non wild fish in a LFS it would be the wild that sold more.

or that was the case in the LFS i worked in (west dorset aqu)