Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First timer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-timer-59566/)

jmichele92 01-10-2011 11:23 PM

First timer

Hello all - I am new here, so go easy on me. :)

I am an avid pet person, but will be moving into the dorms at college. Unfortunately, the only pets they allow are fish - and they limit it to a 10 gallon tank. Since I know I want a pet, I am planning on getting a 10 gallon tank and setting it up in my dorm. However, I have never had fish before, other than the rinky dink goldfish you can win at the fair. And they always seemed to magically disappear while I was at school. (My mother SWEARS she had nothing to do with it)

Anyways,I wanted just some general info on what fish would be good to start out with, how many fish would be comfortable in that size tank, which would not, things I will definitely need, things that are a waste of money.

I would like interesting, tropical fish if possible, but again, I don't really know much about it.

Any input, advice, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jill

123qweasdzxc1234 01-10-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmichele92 (Post 556504)
Hello all - I am new here, so go easy on me. :)

I am an avid pet person, but will be moving into the dorms at college. Unfortunately, the only pets they allow are fish - and they limit it to a 10 gallon tank. Since I know I want a pet, I am planning on getting a 10 gallon tank and setting it up in my dorm. However, I have never had fish before, other than the rinky dink goldfish you can win at the fair. And they always seemed to magically disappear while I was at school. (My mother SWEARS she had nothing to do with it)

Anyways,I wanted just some general info on what fish would be good to start out with, how many fish would be comfortable in that size tank, which would not, things I will definitely need, things that are a waste of money.

I would like interesting, tropical fish if possible, but again, I don't really know much about it.

Any input, advice, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jill

a good tropical fish for ten gallons is the platy or danio. they both are exteemly hardy and have individulal presonalities. 3 platys and 6 danios would make a pleasant tank

123qweasdzxc1234 01-10-2011 11:42 PM

tropical

hello what is a reliable tropical fish?

aunt kymmie 01-10-2011 11:46 PM

Hi Jill, welcome to TFK! We are glad you found is. If I had a 10gl I'd probably do a planted tank with neons and red cherry shrimp, along with black substrate and a black background. All those colors would *pop*. :-)

PS. That was a funny comment about your mother!! Of course she had nothing to do with it! LOL

aunt kymmie 01-10-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123qweasdzxc1234 (Post 556511)
hello what is a reliable tropical fish?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "reliable" tropical fish??

123qweasdzxc1234 01-10-2011 11:48 PM

hey while i have yor attention
i have a 40 gallon trop. tank with 4 danios and a pleco. what would round off my tank?