Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Could I add to a 10 gallon... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/could-i-add-10-gallon-59542/)

Calmwaters 01-10-2011 05:55 PM

Could I add to a 10 gallon...

Hi guys I know I should know this after all these years of fish keeping but I am a firm believer in that if you have doubts ask. LOL I currently have a 10 gallon tank that is really well planted that is home to 6 ember tetras, 2 pygmy corydoras, and 3 coryadorus habrosus, I know that it would be better to have a few more of each of the corys but I can't find them locally and I was lucky to get these and they all swim together and do not act stressed at all. What I would like to know is if I could add a small group of either Boraras Brigittae, or pygmy hatchetfish, or celestial pearl danios.

Byron 01-10-2011 06:53 PM

Amanda, yes to the Boraras or the hatchetfish (Carnegiella myersi). The Danio margaritatus might be troublesome. As noted in our profile, the males can be feisty, and do best with a group of 20 in their own space.

The Boraras brigittae and Ember Tetra are very similar in colouration and might get mixed up; but from my experience with both they will be fine together.

I would suggest 7-9 if Boraras; 6-7 if hatchets. Keep an eye out for more pygmy corys, 3 more would be nice if you can find them.

Byron.

Calmwaters 01-10-2011 07:01 PM

Do you think the pygmy hatchets would be okay if I have duckweed at the top of the tank? I know they like to stay at the top.

Byron 01-10-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 556228)
Do you think the pygmy hatchets would be okay if I have duckweed at the top of the tank? I know they like to stay at the top.

You will need to keep it thinned to provide some surface. I happen to have Duckweed in my 90g now (arrived with some plants or something), and I was noticing this morning when feeding that the group of 19 hatchets (Carnegiella marthae and C. myersi) are getting short on open water space:shock:. They will go down just under floating plants when this occurs, as it often does in this tank with the floating frogbit and pennywort and now duckweed as well; but I thin it out to give them open space, and they do seem to prefer that, since they are now all crowded into the only open space left.

Calmwaters 01-10-2011 07:09 PM

Thanks Byron, I will be sure if I get them to leave at least half of the tank open for them.

Byron 01-10-2011 07:17 PM

Another thing, they are very quick to jump out, even when the top is opened to feed them; several times I have had to pick up fish from the carpet before I could start feeding. And they will find any opening, around filters, heaters, etc; the tank must be very well covered. And care taken at water changes.

You may know all this, but worth mentioning. In the past few months I have managed to lose some of these fellows, even with my vigilance.

Calmwaters 01-10-2011 07:27 PM

Thanks Byron I will be super careful with them the tank is completely covered except when I open the lid to feed the fish so I will be real careful when I feed or do water changes. I have emailed my LFS to see if they have a supplier for them.