Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Pleco identification (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/pleco-identification-59531/)

MyLittlePleco 01-10-2011 04:02 PM

Pleco identification

3 Attachment(s)
First post. Here goes nothing.

I was hoping someone could help me identify my new Pleco, since it was simply marked as a "sucker catfish" at my LFS.
He's currently doing very well, so I don't expect him to be one of the more sensitive varieties.

I'm not sure if it's that evident in the pictures provided, but his colouration verges onto black/very dark brown. (to be honest, I chose him because he stuck out so well from all of the other Plecos on sale).

I was not fortunate enough to take a picture, but he does have a large sail-like dorsal fin.
I suspect he may just be a darker Common Pleco, but any input would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:-)

fishyinpa 01-10-2011 05:11 PM

Im not expert but it looks like a common to me.

aunt kymmie 01-11-2011 12:02 AM

I agree, it looks like a common pleco to me. Those suckers get HUGE! What size tank do you have??

MyLittlePleco 01-11-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 556525)
I agree, it looks like a common pleco to me. Those suckers get HUGE! What size tank do you have??

I've got a tank measuring around 50 gallons and 100cm or so in length. My Pleco definitely measures less than 10cm at the moment, but I'm sure he'll be comfortable in this tank, even if he grows to 30cm (now THAT would be big).

lorax84 01-11-2011 05:57 PM

Looks more like a Sailfin to me, commons tend to be a little fatter in the tail. I am by no means an expert though. They have the same tank needs as commons. You should be good with the tank you have.

fan4guppy 02-04-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittlePleco (Post 556061)
First post. Here goes nothing.

I was hoping someone could help me identify my new Pleco, since it was simply marked as a "sucker catfish" at my LFS.
He's currently doing very well, so I don't expect him to be one of the more sensitive varieties.

I'm not sure if it's that evident in the pictures provided, but his colouration verges onto black/very dark brown. (to be honest, I chose him because he stuck out so well from all of the other Plecos on sale).

I was not fortunate enough to take a picture, but he does have a large sail-like dorsal fin.
I suspect he may just be a darker Common Pleco, but any input would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:-)

Identifying species from the Family can be like trying to identifying almost identical sextuplets or even worse as there are so many species that look similar and many are imported (or sent by fish farms) to pet shops around the world without possible identification. There are several different species sold in pet shops today that are sold under the name COMMON PLECO

"There are a number of species that are sold on the market under the name common algae sucker, including Hypostomus plecostomus, Hypostomus punctatus, Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus, and Pterygoplichthys pardalis."

Plecostomus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With your discription of it having a high dorsal fin it may be likely that it is from the genus Pterygoplichthys however it is really hard for even those that are very experienced in the hobby to identify species with no real background to find where the species originally originated or the fish can also be a hybrid of two Pterygoplichthys species.

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 02-05-2011 07:17 AM

Looks like a female Longfin Bristlenose

lucyblairs 05-02-2011 03:48 PM

I have exactly the same fish as yours here. same body shape, same belly, same colour, same long dorsal fin.

If i didnt know better id say ud been in and photographed my little kit-kat. :D

I have been convinced since I got her that she was a female bristelnose cat but they are only suposed to grow to about 10 cm and she is now at 14. This made me wonder a little so i posted her photo and people have said that she might be a comon pleco now.

Have you had any more clarification?

Lucy

Bigguy71 05-02-2011 09:55 PM

Ya, that's a common Pleco. They can get very big, I had 2 , they were in a 20 long then I moved them to a 40 breeder. When I bought them, one was 1.5 inches the other was 2 inches, 7 years later they were 13 & 14 inches. Recently I visited a pet store about 2 hours away in N.J. which carries a number of large fish and seen one that was easily 20 inches long and with the fins, 9-10 inches wide.