Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Neon tetra ich I think help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/neon-tetra-ich-i-think-help-59527/)

Elvis 01-10-2011 02:35 PM

Neon tetra ich I think help please

I have a 75G community tank right now with the following fish:

10 Neon tetras
5 Guppies
3 Otos
2 Gouramis
2 Red wag platys

I also have a 29G that I recently started which is planted and is doing very well. It only has 2 zebra danios in it right now. My plan was to put my neons 1 gourami and my otos into this tank.

However the neon tetras in the 75G don't seem to be 100% to me, a lot of them have a few white spots (some more than others) and some of them have curved spines and also seem to be bloated quiet often. The bloated ones are swimming very weird but this has been like that for a while and they are still all alive so it is not NTD.

I have a spare 10g tank that has everything and is ready to be setup I could use this tank to treat the tetras before introducing them to the 29g.

How should I go about this?

Also I should note that my water pH is pretty high from the tap and also in all my tanks, it reads 8.2pH.

Lisar 01-10-2011 04:36 PM

Hey!

Cycle your tank! I had to do almost 5 days of cycle to help out my angelfish with ich.

Elvis 01-10-2011 04:40 PM

Cycle my tank? I don't understand, my tanks are both cycled.

Lisar 01-10-2011 04:41 PM

with Nutrafin "Cycle" ?

Elvis 01-10-2011 04:43 PM

Doesn't nutrafin cycle only help build up bacteria in your filter? What does this have to do with ich?

Lisar 01-10-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis (Post 556094)
Doesn't nutrafin cycle only help build up bacteria in your filter? What does this have to do with ich?

That is what we use at our pet store, I am guessing because it establishes safe biological aquarium environments. My angelfish is nice and healthy, and ich can kill your fish nutrafin is safe stuff so even if it doesn't work it won't hurt.

Just my two cents

Elvis 01-10-2011 04:48 PM

Ich lives in the substrate tho, are you sure your tank is completely cured of ich?

Lisar 01-10-2011 04:51 PM

It has been Three weeks so heres hoping!

aunt kymmie 01-11-2011 12:11 AM

Here's my favorite article on Ich:

The Skeptical Aquarist

Elvis, neon tetras can be sensitive fish, and a PH of 8.2 is very high in order for neons to be comfortable. 6.0 to 7.8 is what I've widely read as a range for these fish. That being said, if you are seeing white spots it sounds most likely that they do have Ich, and you will need to medicate the tank. If one fish has Ich the entire tank has been exposed to Ich. You are keeping otos in this tank and being that they are a "scaleless" fish they are very sensitive to meds, so meds should only be used at half strength. I have always used Kordon's Rid Ich+ at half strength when I have had to treat my tank for Ich. Good luck and HTH.

Elvis 01-11-2011 02:08 AM

Wow thanks so much for that info, that cleared up so much for me =)

I will be getting Kordon Ich Attack asap tomorrow! This will be good for both my tanks because the Zebras that are in my planted tank came from the infected tank, and this seems to be more safe for plants and tetras too.