Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Do you name ur fish family? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/do-you-name-ur-fish-family-59524/)

mom2thebest2 01-10-2011 02:08 PM

Do you name ur fish family?

I've noticed a lot... A LOT of you have names next to the type of fish it is. Silly question but how in the world do you keep them straight LOL?! We've named one in the past, he was Plato, easy to remember him being he was a 9" plecostomus! In the next week we will be stocking and so I'm wondering if we should take a shot at naming all those lil babies as we bring em in!

Romad 01-10-2011 03:17 PM

LOL. I started to name them but quickly stopped when I upgraded to a 75 gallon and added lots more fish.
Having said that, my original 4 green tiger barbs are George, Paul, John, & Ringo. Since I have 9 now, the rest are called Barbie :)

The only fish that I name now are my bettas. My betta boys are Bingo, Bowie, Butters, Boogie, Brady, and Bruiser.

lorax84 01-10-2011 03:39 PM

I don't really keep track of the names, but my girlfriend always comes up with them. I sometimes name groups of fish just to make it easier to talk about them with my girlfriend. Telling her to take a look at the Neolamprologus multifasciatus usually leads to a blank stare.

mom2thebest2 01-10-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 556051)
I don't really keep track of the names, but my girlfriend always comes up with them. I sometimes name groups of fish just to make it easier to talk about them with my girlfriend. Telling her to take a look at the Neolamprologus multifasciatus usually leads to a blank stare.

Oh you mean the same quizzical look I had... until I googled to see what they are?! LOL!

fish joey 01-10-2011 06:32 PM

I Name some... my eldest fish is Ruben bronze cory he is from the 2nd season of American Idol....my daughter had the only tank then and had all the idol contestents hes the only left...When I took over we had the Fab 5 Male guppies.... another one( male guppy ) Wes Welker cause he is so scrapy!!!! ........Itsy, bitsy and lil Bro the first sunset babies,,,,,,then there is Foreign and Contaminant...two corys that are always cleaning up...funny some fish just need to be named ..others not so much...:lol:

aunt kymmie 01-10-2011 06:34 PM

I don't name my fish, there are too many to keep track of, lol. One particular Discus does have a name though. He's always a brat to his other tank mates so I call him the <insert bad word here>, lol.

jeaninel 01-10-2011 06:46 PM

Some of my fish have names but not all. Sometimes a name will just come to me when I get a fish. I have Hershey my Chocolate Pleco, Spook my Ctenopoma, Dozer my Green Texas, my Bettas Reno and Pepper and my brat Synspillum I just call Punk, although in all fairness he's mellowed out a bit and not too much of a brat anymore. My Severum I just call Big Guy. Some of the other fish I just kind of have nicknames of their species name such as Angel for my angelfish, Jadie for my female Jack Dempsey and Paulie for my Polleni. Yes, I'll admit, I do talk to my fish sometiimes. :oops:

LasColinasCichlids 01-10-2011 08:58 PM

Back when I had small tropical community fish there were too many to name, so my favorites would get names, or the easy to recognize would get names.
Now since my tank only has two fish of different breeds its easy to name them and know who is who.
I assume that after a while with many fish you can learn to tell them apart by personality and small different physical traits.

Calmwaters 01-10-2011 09:28 PM

I have too many to keep up with the names plus I have several of the same kind that all look alike so it would be hard to tell them apart. LOL I do have 3 bettas that have names one is a blue female my mom named her Mary after her best friend that passed away a few days before I got her because my mom said she was beautiful like her friend, then I have Meanfish a male crown tail that always flares at me when I go to feed him, and a male veil tail that is named Assassin because he has killed or attacked anything that has been in his tank including snails he likes to eat and dwarf frogs I tried to keep with him but then had to move to another tank. And a dwarf puffer named Lucky because when the guy at the LFS was pouring some of the water out of the container he caught him in before he put him in the bag and he fell into the tank with the much larger Chiclids and we just barely caught him before they made a snack out of him.

iamgray 01-10-2011 10:39 PM

Meanfish... Aaaahahahaha that's my favourite.

I name some of my fish if there is something unique that makes it ppossible for me to tell them apart. My guppies are Delenn, Lennier, and Susan. My platies are Michael Garibaldi, Talia Winters, Na'Toth, and Kosh. My harlequin rasboras all had names when i only had three of them, but now that i have ten, i don't have names for them. My honey gourami is named Penelope although i've started to think it's actually a boy... But, male or female, that fish just looks like a Penelope to me. My mollies are Molly, Unmolly, and Molly-o. My otos are named Zathras. And my one angelfish that isn't a veiltail is named Susan. You may remember from a few sentences ago that i also have a guppy named Susan. Well, when i have more than one of the same sort of fish, and find one of them to be dreadfully plain, i name it susan because there's just something about saying "ugh, that's susan... Isn't she just so plain?" that makes me feel good about myself. Keeping in mind that when verbally abusing susan, i always do it with a certain amount of disdain in my voice. Poor susan. But it's not my fault susan's so plain.

Anyways, those are the only fish names i can remember right now. Oh. If a fish that i was particularly fond of dies, i buy an identical one and give it the same name without making reference to its predecessor. I am on mysecond Lennier and second guppy susan. No "lennier jr." i don't think it's right to say junior if the fish isn't the offspring of the deceased fish. It really wouldn't make any sense at all.