Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Need advise ASAP..not enough air? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/need-advise-asap-not-enough-air-5951/)

Holly 05-18-2007 06:14 PM

Need advise ASAP..not enough air?

I cleaned my tank last night, not the filter just the glass and replanted some plants that plecky pulled out. Now everyone is up top trying to get air. Even my pleco is coming to the top of tank to get air. I'm scared I'm going to loose everyone. I lost 3 shrimp and one of my spotted cories already. I put the end of my Cycle in the tank after cleaning and also dosed with Florish Excel. 3 capfulls just like it says. Help before I loose everyone!!! I have an air wand in the tank and just put another air pump in there to see if it help. Last night my parameters were ok, I'm going to check them now again.

willow 05-18-2007 06:16 PM

hi
it will be interesting to see what the results are.
i hope the rest of the fish are ok.

Holly 05-18-2007 06:29 PM

ammonia at 4.0
nitrates at 60
doing a 50% water change

willow 05-18-2007 06:36 PM

holy cow. :(
i wonder if maybe you disturbed a gas pocket ?
are all the other fish there,i mean no fish has died
and you've missed the body maybe ?

Holly 05-18-2007 06:55 PM

After 50% water change I'm at 0.5 nitrites, 1.5 ammonia and 20 nitrates. The fish are swimming again but not happy. I do a head count every night and everyone was there last night. I don't know what happened but I'm freaking out. I have about 20 babies in the tank right now! 10 of them are new, just 2 or 3 days old. When can I do another water change? Tonight before bed maybe?

Holly 05-18-2007 06:59 PM

My albino was acting strange the past 2 or 3 days and when we got home last night he was gone so I pulled him out, did 30% water change and tested and I was at .05 nitrites, 0 ammonia and 10 nitrates so I didn't worry too much. The testing tubes were Christmas green and red today!

Falina 05-18-2007 07:09 PM

Babies are especially sensitive to amonia so do smaller water changes more frequently. Another before bed wouldn't hurt if it's a small one. 10-20% I would say.

Good luck!

Holly 05-19-2007 09:27 AM

I did a 30% water change before bed last night. This morning my ammonia is at 1.0 I haven't tested anything else yet since if the ammonia is off then everything else is off also. Why aren't the numbers going down after the water changes? I don't understand.

MattD 05-19-2007 10:53 AM

Your tank is overstocked.

willow 05-19-2007 05:32 PM

hi
keep up with the water changes,
that will help dilute the toxins a little
to give the fish a chance.
it looks like it will take a little time
for everything to settle down.