Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   is my tank crowded? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-tank-crowded-59489/)

jgrem91 01-10-2011 01:19 AM

is my tank crowded?
 
have a 55 gallon tank with 1 tiger oscar, 1 red pacu, 1 bala shark, 2 convict cichlids, 1 bumblebee cichlid, 1 synodontis catfish, 1 common pleco, and 1 green terror. all are juveniles, the bala shark being the largest at 5" long. is this overstocked? also, lately my oscar has gotten small frays that look like bites in his tail fin and the tips are white (about 2mm line on the tip) all the way across. is this finrot? what should i do? i feed them tropical flakes, oscar grow formula, and frozen foods (beefheart,brineshrimp,bloodworms). the tank has 1 small piece of driftwood, 1 ceramic large roots cave, 1 smaller sphinx cave and some plastic plants. gravel and river rock substrate. the filters are 2 penguin 350 biowheels. water changes every sunday, ive had them for 2 months.

1077 01-10-2011 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrem91 (Post 555636)
have a 55 gallon tank with 1 tiger oscar, 1 red pacu, 1 bala shark, 2 convict cichlids, 1 bumblebee cichlid, 1 synodontis catfish, 1 common pleco, and 1 green terror. all are juveniles, the bala shark being the largest at 5" long. is this overstocked? also, lately my oscar has gotten small frays that look like bites in his tail fin and the tips are white (about 2mm line on the tip) all the way across. is this finrot? what should i do? i feed them tropical flakes, oscar grow formula, and frozen foods (beefheart,brineshrimp,bloodworms). the tank has 1 small piece of driftwood, 1 ceramic large roots cave, 1 smaller sphinx cave and some plastic plants. gravel and river rock substrate. the filters are 2 penguin 350 biowheels. water changes every sunday, ive had them for 2 months.


All of the fish you list will very soon outgrow a 55 gallon tank with the exception of the convicts and possibly the synodontis depending on species.Not a good idea to mix African cichlids with South american or Central american cichlids. Water parameter's and diet 's are often quite different.
Highlighted in blue,,you will find info on these fishes and minimum size tank suggestions.
The tail damage could be due to aggression by one or more of the fishes you list, and or poor water conditions.
Water quality in the tank will become increasingly more difficult to maintain as the fishes continue to grow and poor water quality WILL result in sick fishes.you should consider a larger tank or re-homing some fish sooner as opposed to later.
Many are those who say..."I am planning on larger tank when fish get bigger" but this does not happen too regularly and in the meantime,,fishes become sick and eventually die or,,,they are released into lakes ,streams,etc,when they become too large for the small tanks holding them.
A little research on the fish BEFORE purchasing them ,could prevent much trouble with afore mentioned aggression issues from over crowding,and or poor water quality causing the fishes to slowly suffer and die.

jeaninel 01-10-2011 02:48 AM

Yes, as 1077 said you will need a much bigger tank very soon.

As for the finrot do you have a test kit and can you post your water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? You do weekly water changes which is good. How much water do you change out?

jgrem91 01-10-2011 02:28 PM

im not that inexperienced in the care for my fish, ammonia- 0 nitrite-0nitrate-5 and the PH is around 7.i change 20-30% (i fill up a large cooler) every sunday. these levels are from yesterday. i just havent seen any disease before, this morning i noticed 2 new white spots on either side of my oscar, what is causing this? i put in a weeks dose of Bio-Zyme for a newer aquarium, Bio-Zyme is bacteria and enzymes, maybe that could have infected my oscar?

lorax84 01-10-2011 02:33 PM

Yes it is overstocked. Just as an example, Oscars can grow up to an inch a month when they have the proper amount of food and enough room, so he will soon be feeling cramped and could become stunted. That oscar is going to continues to go after anything in the tank as it gets bigger. Most likely the fin damage you are talking about is from nipping, not fin rot. If you can't go with a bigger tank I would consider downsizing the number of fish considerably. My brother had an Oscar in a 50 gallon and when it got to adult size it would chase and attack anything else in the tank, many times the disputes got heated to the point that one fish would would be chased right out of the tank and onto the floor, so watch out. In the end the only tank mate we found suitable for the 8" oscar was a 10" Common Pleco.

jgrem91 01-10-2011 03:40 PM

cool. i gave my green terror to a friend, but im not parting with anymore fish, i am getting a 30 gallon bowfront once my tax return comes, or sooner, for my convicts and smaller cichlid and pleco. leaving my 55 to my oscar, pacu, synodontis and bala shark. sound good?

jgrem91 01-10-2011 11:19 PM

but the question about my oscar is still unanswered, he has 2 white spots, bright white, on either side of his body, about and inch behind his gills. he has been biting the surface of the water every so often as well. why is this?

jeaninel 01-11-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrem91 (Post 556450)
but the question about my oscar is still unanswered, he has 2 white spots, bright white, on either side of his body, about and inch behind his gills. he has been biting the surface of the water every so often as well. why is this?

He may have been nipped at by one of the other fish. My Congos are very nippy with each other and sometimes get a little white spec where they've been nipped but it goes away in a couple days. Your water parameters look good so just keep the water clean with your weekly water changes and keep an eye out for any redness or signs that it may be getting infected. A pic may help if you can get one.

Not sure what the biting at the surface of the water is about. Does it look like he's gulping air or is he going after some tiny insect on the water surface?

jgrem91 01-11-2011 01:18 AM

tiger oscar has white spots. what is wrong??
 
2 Attachment(s)
my tiger oscar recently came up with white spots on eitherside of his body. about an inch or so from the gills. what is this? i have attached below the best pictures he would let me take.

jgrem91 01-11-2011 01:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 556535)
He may have been nipped at by one of the other fish. My Congos are very nippy with each other and sometimes get a little white spec where they've been nipped but it goes away in a couple days. Your water parameters look good so just keep the water clean with your weekly water changes and keep an eye out for any redness or signs that it may be getting infected. A pic may help if you can get one.

Not sure what the biting at the surface of the water is about. Does it look like he's gulping air or is he going after some tiny insect on the water surface?


he looks like he is trying to eat something that isnt there. not gulping, i posted pictures in a new post. but i will repost them here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2