Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   questions about saltwater tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/questions-about-saltwater-tank-59415/)

dylanfish 01-09-2011 01:01 PM

questions about saltwater tank

HI
I would love to do a saltwater tank a 10 gallon fish only how much would every thing cost if i did that like the lighting and everything and would i have to get a subpump???

cbirk 01-09-2011 01:04 PM

This is my own personal opinion, as I once attempted a 10g saltwater aquarium,

Unless your planning on dealing with invertebrates, etc, a 10g is not worth the effort to maintain a saltwater tank with what you can put in it. Ok people fire away at me haha.

dylanfish 01-09-2011 02:19 PM

lol well then if thats true i wont ever do it bc im not spending 1000 dollars on a tank!!

cbirk 01-09-2011 02:43 PM

I think even just jumping up to a 20 gal greatly increases what you can keep.

aunt kymmie 01-09-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanfish (Post 555016)
lol well then if thats true i wont ever do it bc im not spending 1000 dollars on a tank!!

Well, post your budget and we can go from there. ;-)

Pasfur 01-09-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanfish (Post 555016)

Actually, depending on the species you keep, the difference in a tank with inverts or corals, as compared to fish only, would be rather small, especially for a 10 gallon tank.

That being said, the idea of keeping such a small aquarium for your fish marine setup and attempting to do so with inverts or corals is probably more than most people should attempt. I would personally suggest that you stick with your initial idea, which can be done rather inexpensively.

I agree, a budget would be the starting place in this conversation. 8-)

dylanfish 01-09-2011 08:59 PM

yea but i still got to spend over 1000 buks ill stick with freshwater.. my figure 8 puffer in my african tank is doing really well..!!

cbirk 01-09-2011 09:38 PM

you should still see what you can spend, and then keep an eye out for sales, or craigs list, or people moving etc, see if you can make a good deal.

aunt kymmie 01-09-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanfish (Post 555405)
yea but i still got to spend over 1000 buks ill stick with freshwater.. my figure 8 puffer in my african tank is doing really well..!!

I think Pasfur's point was that you DON'T have to spend $1,000 to keep a smaller nano type reef or FOWLR.

cbirk 01-09-2011 10:26 PM

I would also like to point out that my original post, was not meant to say you can not have a 10 gal saltwater tank, only that I personally don't consider the extra work of cleaning salt deposits, and keeping proper salinity, etc worth the enjoyment of a 10 gal saltwater tank. I am sure there are plenty of people here that will disagree with me. It is all about personal choice. I hope that I did not discourage you from attempting, I was only trying to suggest that one size up on the tank wouldn't cost you very much more and the value vs cost becomes worth while. Again in my opinion. :)

As far as inverts go, a friend of mine enjpyed keeping live rock, snails and some sort of worm/centipede things that lived in the live rock. She kept it in a 10 gal, and was fairly simple upkeep. So thats what that reference was about.