Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   DEAD sharky..... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/dead-sharky-5927/)

Gerhard 05-17-2007 01:57 AM

DEAD sharky.....

Hi guys. I added two very young Oscars to my 150 liter tank. When I came home yesterday, one of the Oscars were attacking the shark, which is a bit bigger than the Oscar. I put the shark in another tank, but it was too late. This morning I took the two monsters back to the petshop and am no longer interested in Oscars. What fish can I put in my tank that are both beautiful and wont murder other fish.

Captain Crab 05-17-2007 06:00 AM

this is a topic I addressed in a earlier post>
Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:54 pm Cichlids the pitbulls of the aquarium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cichlids are the pitbulls of the aquarium keepers world.Countless of begginer aquarist have bought an oscar or some other aggressive cichlid as their first fish.Only to find it has uprooted and destroyed everything in the tank or grown to large to live in it comfortably.I once had a 2 large oscars that broke a heater in my tank.there are only a few exceptions to the rule.rams,angelfish,keyhole cichlids and sevrums are a few tame cichlids that will live peacefully in a community tank.I have a green sevrum that eats corn,peas,earthworms,snails,and small shrimp.He also is very social and dosent hide much.I think he is the perfect cichlid for begginers.

Gerhard 05-17-2007 06:19 AM

Dead sharky

Hi there. THank you so much for your posting and advice, I am certainly going to look that fish up.

SinisterKisses 05-17-2007 03:38 PM

Sorry, but a severum is a no-go. A 150 litre tank is about 40US gal, which is much too small for severums. I moved mine from their 55gal into a 75gal because even the 55gal seemed much too small.

leifthebunny 05-17-2007 07:31 PM

Re: DEAD sharky.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerhard
What fish can I put in my tank that are both beautiful and wont murder other fish.

LOL It does seem that the prettier fish are the more aggressive. What kind of sharks do you keep? A number of them are fairly aggressive (RTS, ...) or just grow way too large (Iridescant, ...) for a standard tank.

Lupin 05-17-2007 10:45 PM

There isn't a vast selection of cichlids that will be able to cope with the labeo's(assuming it isn't a black shark) territorial attitude and even fit a 40 gallons tank. Kribs are very eager to breed therefore their attitude will be too far for the labeos to cope. No dwarf cichlids in there. They prefer being the most dominant in the tank and I, as well, prefer to keep it that way as most will shy away if constantly bullied therefore increasing the chances of them starving to death.

You might have to settle with dither fish. I realize most don't grow big but they are less likely to be bullied by the labeos. Giant danios are great choices.:)

Gerhard 05-18-2007 01:18 AM

New fish

Hi again. Thank you all for your contributions, I finally decided on Firemouth Cichlids. I put them in yesterday and they look very happy. Hope that they will be fine. I am thinking of adding large angels in a week or so. Any thoughts?

Lupin 05-18-2007 01:39 AM

Re: New fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerhard
I am thinking of adding large angels in a week or so. Any thoughts?

Angels are cichlids therefore they can be tricky to keep. A pair will not work. They will simply keep harassing each other and a 150 liters will not accommodate more than 3 angels. 3 angels will still be a trouble as the weakest one will likely be harassed to death by the other two.

Captain Crab 05-18-2007 06:13 AM

sinister my sevrum has been fine in my 40 gallon for 2 years.And yes angelfish are very delicate.I don't know if the firemouths will tolerate them.A large male firemouth can be fairly aggressive

conor 05-18-2007 01:47 PM

A schoal of 6 or so tiger barbs would compliment the firemouths and shark.