Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Molly Aggresion Problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/molly-aggresion-problem-59188/)

Skunkmang 01-06-2011 07:48 PM

Molly Aggresion Problem

Hello this is my first post, i have been searching for hours for help and i keep getting directed to these threads and you all seem to be very friendly and knowledgeble just the sort of community i think i should seek help from.

Now I am a novice when it comes to Aquariums i have had mine close to a year and it has had a colourful history. I will not describe it all here as i am quite long winded (or fingered for the purpose of typing :) )

Anyways i have 3 Mollies in my 10g aquarium as well as 2 swordtails but they are not being bothered. 2 are female and 1 is male the 1 F and the M are Creamcicle? that is the name they were sold under anyways and 1 F is a Dalmatian. Ok so 3 days ago i found 1 fry in the bottom of the tank (alive) while cleaning it and put it in a breeder trap i was not sure which F was t the Mother so i put them both in with the divider in place incase they weren't finished... well i guess that was bad i think the fry swam up and got eaten :( i am so sad... anyways now the M is picking on my Dal.F in a bad way and i am scared for her. I have as of now separated the M (put him in the breeder) to try and keep her safe but in the absence of the male the Cream.F is nipping at the Dal.F...

I don't know what to do. i am putting together a 40g but it is no where near operational (only have the glass)

Are fish Racist? lol

Any suggestions? i can't get another female in there cause i know now that the tank is pretty much overstocked as it is. Should i just let him out and hope for the best? or is something else wrong? I can only assume that it was her that had the baby.

oh and these 3 have been tank mates for the past 3 months with no problems until now

Thanks for reading my ramblings to the end :)

cbirk 01-07-2011 12:32 AM

I don't know a lot about mollys my self, but I have heard it is better for novice fish keepers to keep only one gender in a tank at a time. keeping both sexes is hard because they are so prolific. As far as I know, they are not shoaling fish, so adding more wont solve the issue like with barbs and tetras. Hopefully someone with more molly experience can help you soon.

Kazzy 01-07-2011 12:39 AM

I have mollies myself, but except for a little skirmish here and there (mainly between males) I haven't had too many issues with aggression. I say add the male back and closely watch them. If the others continue to pester her I'd remove her. Don't know why they are bothering her so much unless there is something wrong with her.

Actually, that may be the case...hmm...I say if you have another small tank to put her into it and keep a close watch on her for any sign of illness or disease. Do you know how many fry were born? Does she still look gravid? If so, she may be fry-bound (a fry is stuck). From what I hear adding salt (epsom salt) will help alleviate that problem but don't think it'll work if she's been fry-bound for too long.

AnnieC 01-07-2011 10:30 AM

I'm thinking part of your problem is probably tank size. A 10 gallon tank is relatively small, and keeping 3 mollies and 2 swordtails in there is awfully crowded. Many fish, even ones that are normally peaceful, will be aggressive if the tank is not big enough for them.

Skunkmang 01-07-2011 11:30 AM

UPDATE: The Crem.F is leaving her alone now she only chased her for a bit last night then let off.

As i said i am a novice, i started this armed with only over but i make sure to educate myself as best i can when i get any pet. They are not shoaling but everyone says they are best kept 1M-2/3F i thought i was good with 1-2 but apperently not.

I don't have another tank to set up at the moment unfortunately :( she does not seem to be acting any differently than she ever has before. All the fry i know of is just the one that i found while cleaning the tank, she is not gravid still as far as i can tell (she is a dalmatian, spots all over). As for salt, i have been reading that i should add salt but it will hurt the other fish and from what i remember as a kid salt is REALLY bad for my snails...

Tank size i know is a problem, like i said i was armed with LFS knowledge (1in. per Gal. "yeah you can put all those together in your tank") i thought they knew what they were talking about lol. I plan on taking them out and putting them in the 40gal. when i can get the money together to build it.

Thanks for the input i am going to let him go and i guess let nature take its course? Maybe it will work like a time out for my toddler :lol: UPDATE: the Crem.F is leaving her alone now she only chased her for a bit last night then let off.

Skunkmang 01-08-2011 06:14 PM

Ok so i let him out and he went for her again this time a little more gentle though. he started sticking it to her... lol though he is still not as gentle as with the other Cream.F

i guess it was what i read about before of the female wanting a rest after having babies and he wanted to breed her and her not letting him pissed him off...? i dunno but he is less of a jerk now anyways.

Skunkmang 01-13-2011 09:45 PM

He is Still picking at her... sometimes from halfway across the tank like a battering ram. in anyone else's experience is there times where a female and male molly will not get along/ mate. it seems everything i have read says with livebearers, if there is a male and a female there are babies... have found no indication of the problem i am having, i have been searching for days about this.

I had to scoop him into the breeder trap again tonight to get him to stop. i will let him out in the morning again to try again :(

can anyone offer anymore advice?

mom2thebest2 01-13-2011 10:33 PM

I may catch flack for suggesting this, but if it continues to be a problem, you may consider rehoming him unless you want him for breeding?

Skunkmang 01-14-2011 10:44 PM

No flack lol, not that i am actually "trying" to breed them but i know there will be babies with mollies. i still have no other option for a home for him atm but i plan on moving them eventually to my 40g.

Skunkmang 02-12-2011 07:46 PM

Just thought i would let you all know i have moved them too my new 50g tank and all is going well they are getting along and dropping fry :)