Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My new Apistogramma cacatuoides (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-new-apistogramma-cacatuoides-59136/)

aunt kymmie 01-05-2011 11:50 PM

My new Apistogramma cacatuoides

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up a quartet of juvenile Apistogramma cacatuoides! (cockatoo dwarf cichlid) They are still really young and have yet to color up but I'm excited to have them in my tank. They are in my 75gl planted so they get a little lost in there so it was hard to get any pics but I did mangae to snap one. They are such cute little guys. They should turn into some very colorful adults. :-)

1077 01-06-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 552097)
I just picked up a quartet of juvenile Apistogramma cacatuoides! (cockatoo dwarf cichlid) They are still really young and have yet to color up but I'm excited to have them in my tank. They are in my 75gl planted so they get a little lost in there so it was hard to get any pics but I did mangae to snap one. They are such cute little guys. They should turn into some very colorful adults. :-)

Cuter than a speckled pup on a red firetruck.8-)

Romad 01-06-2011 04:40 AM

How cute! Can't wait to see what they look like when they get bigger. Congrats on your new additions.

Bluetangclan 01-06-2011 06:49 AM

Awesome. One of my favorite Apistos.

fish joey 01-06-2011 07:45 AM

Sure is a big name for a little fish!....very cute congrats!!

aunt kymmie 01-06-2011 09:22 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone! A big name for a little fish? I'll say! As of right now they are not even an inch long, that's how teeny tiny they are. They are probably my most favorite Apisto too, and I've been looking for some for a very long time. It's always cool when you walk into the LFS and voila!, your wish has been granted. :guitarist:

LisaC144 01-06-2011 11:20 AM

Color up? He's a beauty even at that age! Congrats on the new addition. Now I gotta go see what they're compatible with ;-)

jeaninel 01-06-2011 11:45 AM

Beautiful fish. His color looks promising. Will be a stunning fish as they get older.

Byron 01-08-2011 12:20 PM

There are several colour variants, do you know which you have Kym? I think the photo you managed to get is of a female; your males will have the colour differences.

Byron.

aunt kymmie 01-08-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 554079)
There are several colour variants, do you know which you have Kym? I think the photo you managed to get is of a female; your males will have the colour differences.

Byron.

Byron, I have no idea! My four came from a tank of captive bred juvies and I have no idea what the parents look like. I think your right about the pic being a female. The one I'm trying to get a pic of is what must be a male. He's the same size but already is showing an orange dorsal with a hint of blue in the checks. I think he's gonna be a looker! :-D
Eventually I WILL get a pic of him.