Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   question about cleaning a tank???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-cleaning-tank-59116/)

i swim 01-05-2011 07:28 PM

question about cleaning a tank????

well i want to get a 30 gallon tank (this will be my first aquarium). i am super confused as far as cleaning go. what the hekc is cycling? peopel say u ned to let a 40 gallon tank cycle for 2-3 weeks. ?????????????????? how do u clean a tank and what equipment do you need? thanks

bigehugedome 01-05-2011 07:43 PM

The nitrogen cycle AKA what we call cycling a tank is basically establishing bacteria in your tank that will remove dangerous chemicals in your water that are prouduced mostly by your fishes wastes. There is a sticky in this section that is called "a beginners guide to cycling" which should help you get started.

In order to clean a tank you will need an algae remover, like a brush or magnet, a gravel vac to clean your substrate, and buckets/hoses etc in order to change your water. You want to do at least 25% water changes each week (more or less depending what you are keeping) and a good water conditioner (most people here seem to use seachem prime) to treat the water.

Byron 01-05-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i swim (Post 551827)
well i want to get a 30 gallon tank (this will be my first aquarium). i am super confused as far as cleaning go. what the hekc is cycling? peopel say u ned to let a 40 gallon tank cycle for 2-3 weeks. ?????????????????? how do u clean a tank and what equipment do you need? thanks

Cycling is critical to understand as it occurs in all tanks with live fish and fish can be weakened even to the point of death. You can read an explanation in the "sticky" at the head of this section of the forum, top of this column.

That will give you plenty to digest at the present.;-)

Byron.

i swim 01-05-2011 08:00 PM

i read it and am still confused. for my betta fish (1/2 gallon. will upgrade so dont worry) i use spring water. i have never cycled his tank. i read the sticky but it was still confusing. do you do it only once or every week? im sorry but im just really confused. is it only if u use tap water?

Blaxicanlatino 01-05-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i swim (Post 551859)
i read it and am still confused. for my betta fish (1/2 gallon. will upgrade so dont worry) i use spring water. i have never cycled his tank. i read the sticky but it was still confusing. do you do it only once or every week? im sorry but im just really confused. is it only if u use tap water?

just use sink water. But be sure to buy a water conditioner. I personally use a water conditioner called "Prime." Put 2 drops per gallon to condition the water (make it safe for fish to swim in). You dont have to buy a fancy water or anything like that. Also, cleaning the tank is: using a gravel vac (buy one-they are cheap), theres 2 ways to start up the "sucking" ability of the gravel vac- one way i never could do so i will tell you the other, basicly the gravel vac is a long hollowed tube hooked to a thinner, longer plastic tube. You put the larger part in the water, take the thinner longer portion ( make sure to have a bucket ready) then simply suck on the end to get the vaccuum started. move the vac around the tank to...well suck up bad stuff. heres a vid...

shes usin a more advanced vac but you dont need this, unless you want.

jeaninel 01-05-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i swim (Post 551859)

In a sense you only do it once when you start up a new tank. "Cycling" a tank means establishing the colony of beneficial bacteria that take care of the ammonia produced by fish waste and leftover food, etc. An ammonia source is needed to start the cycle. Fish produce ammonia so once fish are added the cycle will start automatically. Your job is to monitor the water conditions while the bacteria is establishing itself and do water changes as needed to make sure ammonia and nitrite levels don't get too high as this will be fatal to fish. A good test kit (liquid type, not the dip strips) is essential in helping you know where you are in the cycle. If you are going to use fish to cycle your tank it's important to only start with a few hardy fish and not add anymore fish until the cycle is complete. A lot of people prefer to do a "fishless" cycle using pure ammonia drops and this way needless fish deaths are avoided. But it can be kind of confusing for a beginner. If you have a friend who has an established tank using some filter media from their tank will help jump start the cycle greatly. Your tank is fully cycled once ammonia and nitrite levels drop to 0 and remain there and you have some reading for nitrates.I hope this made sense. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions.