Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   question for angelfish experts (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/question-angelfish-experts-59020/)

ginagv 01-04-2011 07:22 PM

question for angelfish experts

I am going to be getting a 55 gal tank set up soon. I have never really kept Angels and while doing research I read that they like to be in groups. My question though is this.. On Aquabid sometimes you can find Angels that have paired off. If I should buy 2 that have paired off could they be happy with just themselves as the only angels?

I have not made any final decisions yet.. Just planning still.

thanks in advance for your time,

Gina

aunt kymmie 01-04-2011 09:13 PM

With a mated pair you can only house them by themselves. They will go after other Angels mercilessly. If you start out with a shoal and two decide to pair up (which they often do), same scenerio, you have to remove the "non-mated" Angels (or the mated pair) in order to keep the peace. HTH

ginagv 01-04-2011 09:33 PM

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of information I was after. I don't want to go through the expense of buying several to only have to take the others back who are not paired, and I'd only have the 1 55 gal tank. Would I be able to have other fish (non cichlid) in the tank with the pair safely? Cories, a dwarf pleco.. Otos?

Gina

aunt kymmie 01-05-2011 10:28 AM

I know that you can keep other fish with a mated pair but I leave that to the experts to answer. I know that my friend Lisa keeps a mated pair in her tank along with a shoal of Dennison barbs, and a herd of loaches. At the moment I don't recall the other fish in her tank. Her tank is a 125gl, six feet long!
I would think that Congo or Columbian tetras would do well as they are too fast for Angels to get near. Since Lisa's loaches aren't bothered by her mated pair I would think any "bottom" dwelling fish would fare well with Angels. I would think that there would be many fish that would be fine in a tank with a mated pair of Angels, just not sure how the mated pair would feel about those fish, though. :-?

Discus aren't Angels, but to illustrate, my mated pairs of Discus were extremely disturbed by the fast swimming behaviors of my Congos and Dennisons so these barbs and tetras were moved to a tank of their own.

ginagv 01-05-2011 10:54 AM

Thank you for your reply.. I would not be encouraging them to spawn, just to have them as "centerpiece fish" for this bigger tank. I tend to prefer my cory cats actually, and if I could find a tank that is like 12 inches high and 6 feet long and 24 inches deep I'd buy it just so I'd have lots of bottom space for all of the ones I'd love to have!

But at any rate, I'm excited about getting this new tank up and going... Angels are so pretty, so I thought they would be striking as a pair for a 55 gallon.

Gina

aunt kymmie 01-05-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginagv (Post 551396)
But at any rate, I'm excited about getting this new tank up and going... Angels are so pretty, so I thought they would be striking as a pair for a 55 gallon.

Gina

Yes, they would be! :-)

ginagv 01-06-2011 05:45 PM

Oh another question for the Angel experts!

The present occupants of my 20 gallon (who will be moving soon to this new 55 gal) are doing well in my tank at 77 degrees. From what I read angels need a higher temp.. is that true? My cories, my otos and my cherry barbs are doing well... The cherry barbs are doing so well that the males were absolutely going nuts trying to mate with the females all the time... I started out with 4 and 4... Then I took 3 of the males back to the LFS.. The remaining male was still going bonkers trying to mate with all of them that he's now on his way back too.. Already my females are enjoying the entire tank, swimming about and exploring.. its so nice to see...

but I digress...

The breeding pair I buy should be calm since they are a pair right? Don't need any cichlid carnage, if I can avoid it... providing they can take the 77 degree water temp...

Angel advice please?

Gina

LisaC144 01-07-2011 09:56 AM

Hi Ginagv. Welcome to the forum. All of the fish you mention that are in your 20g will fair well at a temperature of 78-79. This is exactly where I keep my 125g tank with my pair of Angels. If you get a breeding pair, they will become aggressive towards all other fish in the tank during spawning. The fish do know to stay away from them during this time but you will see chasing from the Angels if the pair lay eggs. Don't be surprised if your eggs are gone by the next day. The other fish in the tank love to feast at night when the Angels are resting.

As Kym stated, you can have other fish in the tank. Besides my pair of Angels, I have rummynose tetra, Cardinal tetras, 2 Bolivian Rams, loaches and corys. Keep in mind this is a 125g 6 foot tank.

LisaC144 01-07-2011 09:57 AM

Here's a video of my angelfish spawning :-)

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...pawning-48638/

ginagv 01-07-2011 10:03 AM

Thank you for your reply. I really won't be trying to get them to breed per se.. I just wanted to get a couple angels without having to get several, since, if I understand correctly, they need to be in a group of 5-6 to be happy until they pair off. I just want a couple, and I don't want to go through any huge aggression periods nor do I have space for many tanks.

I hope this makes sense..

If I'm misunderstanding in any way, please let me know.

Gina