Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Barbs and which other fish - Please Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/barbs-other-fish-please-advice-58982/)

Souptik82 01-04-2011 11:11 AM

Barbs and which other fish - Please Advice

Hello!

First... Wishing everyone here a very Happy New Year!! :-D

I have recently made a 120 gallon tank and would like to keep Barbs in it along with other fishes. Now my question is which other fishes can I keep with Barbs? The tank at present has 17 Barbs in it, a mix of Tigers and Albino's. These are the only 2 varieties of barbs available where I live. Which other fish can I keep along with these Barbs safely as I know Barbs are known fin nippers! I chose Barbs as I've always loved watching them schooling about in groups. :-)

My tank details:

Measurements: 48" X 24" 24"
Capacity: 120 gallons
Substrate: Sand
Decoration: Rocks
Planted: No
Filtration: 1 X Dolphin C-1300 Canister Filter @ 1000 L/H + 1 X Sobo Top Filter @ 2500 L/H
2 X 200 Watts Sobo thermostat's
Power head and air pump

Please suggest which fishes I can keep. Also, is keeping barbs in a sand + rock setup safe or are they better suited for planted tanks? In that case I'll have to change from keeping barbs altogether. Please advice.

Thanks and Regards - Souptik (India)

Souptik82 01-05-2011 01:27 AM

No replies yet... anyone??

1077 01-05-2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souptik82 (Post 551276)
No replies yet... anyone??

Columbian tetra's, Congo Tetra's, Rosy barbs.

aunt kymmie 01-05-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 551334)
Columbian tetra's, Congo Tetra's, Rosy barbs.

+1 on the Congos or Columbians. I keep both species and they are FAST, in addition to being beautiful fish.
Tigers will never be able to get close enough to these fish to ever nip their fins.

Byron 01-10-2011 07:43 PM

I don't often disagree with Kymmie or 1077, but in this case I must at least interject a caution. The beautiful caudal fin and dorsal fin extensions on Congo Tetra are too tempting. While in such a large tank and with a sizeable group of Tigers, they may be less inclined, but it is still a risk that I would not want to take.

My group of Congo, some years ago now, were rather quiet. But then, they were the emperors in the 55g and had no problem fish to harass them, so maybe they were more relaxed. Tigers are very fast active swimmers when they are in good health.

I realize you said you can't get them, but other medium-sized barbs are good tankmates for Tigers, along with the larger rasbora species, and any of the loach species suited to the tank (they need to be in a group of 5+ and some species do attain a foot). Any active swimming fish would probably work too.

Byron.